eVouchers -- One Time Use, Lose the balance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny T

OBS Chief
I recently tried to use a $125 eVoucher for a $45 fare, assuming the balance would remain available. Instead I got a message stating that eVouchers were for "one time use" only and that if I proceeded I would lose the $80 balance. I seem to remember using eVouchers multiple times (until used up) in the past.

Is one-time use something new? Is there any justification for erasing the balance--other than grabbing customer's cash without providing any benefit?

Seems the only way to get full value for an eVoucher now is to spend more money on Amtrak -- because the chance of using a voucher for an exactly equal fare is limited. Hence to get full value you have to purchase a higher fare. I don't like this at all.

I suspect the voucher you're trying to use was given to you for a problem with a trip you were on (long delay, poor service, etc). Those, I believe, are one time use. eVouchers for cancelled trips will retain the difference and can be used later. I just checked mine which I got yesterday for cancelling a trip.

^ That sounds about right!

Still seems a bit odd that Amtrak, after doing the right thing and issuing a voucher to solve a problem, wants to annoy me by canceling 2/3 of the value. At least they did warn me, so I went to another form of payment.

Yes, there's two kinds of vouchers. Those given as the result of problems on the trip must be used 100% or the rest of the value will be lost. Perhaps they perceive that as 'motivation' for you to immediately book another trip. For cancelled or changed reservations, those vouchers can be partially used and keep the remaining balance. I've experienced both types and had a left over balance on the 2nd type in the past 5 years or so.

Back