Excellent Article on Budd

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
For those of us that are Budd admirers and aficionados, run out and get yourself a copy of the Classic Trains, Special Edition #8, Dream Trains 2.

It has an excellent article on Budd's Red Lion Plant and also pages and pages of Budd cars of various types used by various railroads between 1946 and 1956 initially, and then of course as hand me downs by others later. I am sure GML will love this among others of course. I enjoyed it a lot.

You can order it from here.

You beat me to it, Jishnu.

Yes there is a lot of good stuff in here about Budd.

But I also like the treatment given to the California Zephyr. If you just know the CZ today, you might define it as a "Superliner which goes through beautiful scenery".

However, it actually has a much richer history than that. A history worth knowing, yes well worth knowing. And wrapped around with the history of the dome car.

This edition touches on several neat things. If you live on former Pennsylvania territory and/or former New York Central territory you might be delighted to learn abut the twin unit diners some trains had years ago.

This edition touches on several neat things. If you live on former Pennsylvania territory and/or former New York Central territory you might be delighted to learn abut the twin unit diners some trains had years ago.
Regarding Diners, what fascinated me is the SP triple-unit articulated Diner/Kitchen/Dorm car.

Other than on the Pennsy and NYC the only other place where I have come across twin unit Diner/Kitchen/Dorm cars is on Indian Railways. They ran on the now discontinued Air-Conditioned Express Service between Delhi and Bombay and Delhi and Calcutta back in the 60s.

If Amtrak had some real money to spend on equipment I think building such pairs would make a lot of sense for the single level fleet.

Back