Fall/Winter Timetable Photo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebert

Train Attendant
I picked up my copy of the National Timetable on Friday, and right away I spotted something interesting on the cover. The photo is of an Acela train crossing a river in what looks like northern New England. (I've never been out there so I'm just guessing.) I'm wondering if the person who selected this photo ever noticed that the roof shrouds were missing from the Acela power car.

Other interesting things I noticed are that the Southwest Chief still takes an hour from Los Angeles to Fullerton (6:45 to 7:45) while the Pacific Surfliners can do it in 30. The timetable also has a notice that the Sunset Ltd's schedule is getting reviewed, and that it my change between now and April. (They also failed to make any note of the Three Rivers discontinuation.)

-Firebert

For Southwest Chief timetable between Fullerton and Los Angeles, it is common for other train routes to pad some extra times once they're getting closer to final destination.

Since it's rush-hour in Los Angeles area, a lot of commuter trains (Metrolink) and Amtrak trains might be rushing to LA station which has stub tracks at the same time.

Firebert said:
I picked up my copy of the National Timetable on Friday, and right away I spotted something interesting on the cover. The photo is of an Acela train crossing a river in what looks like northern New England. (I've never been out there so I'm just guessing.) I'm wondering if the person who selected this photo ever noticed that the roof shrouds were missing from the Acela power car.
All the Acela power cars had their roof shrouds removed quite some time ago, as the tack welds weren't holding up under the wind stress at high-speeds. Amtrak was very worried that a shroud might come flying off at high-speed possibly causing serious injuries.

Only recently, I think within the last 3 or 4 months at most, have the shrouds started to return. They are now being anchored with bolts to prevent flyoffs at high-speed.

The Chief time table I mentioned is for departing Los Angeles, so Fullerton would only be the first station stop. The last few nights the train has been taking about 40 min. from Los Angeles to Fullerton given a 6:30 departure schedule. It arrives in Fullerton around 7:10 to 7:15 and sits for 30 min. I'd rather see them start cutting time off from the end ponts so the train actually does get from end to end faster.

-Firebert

AlanB said:
All the Acela power cars had their roof shrouds removed quite some time ago, as the tack welds weren't holding up under the wind stress at high-speeds. Amtrak was very worried that a shroud might come flying off at high-speed possibly causing serious injuries.
Only recently, I think within the last 3 or 4 months at most, have the shrouds started to return. They are now being anchored with bolts to prevent flyoffs at high-speed.
Bolts over a weld? The age old debate rears it's head again! I have a feeling we will be seeing the shrouds on "Modern Marvals- Engineering Disasters" in the near future:rolleyes:

Why is it always simple things like that that have a major affect on the public and costs us millions of dollars to fix? Hindsight really has an affect on things, but why oh why can't it be done right the first time?

Back