Family Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuck in St. Chuck

My wife and I are considering a July-Aug vacation trip from Chicago to Whitefish, MT with a family bedroom for kids above.

Can this work and be comfortable?

Being our first trip on an Amtrak train, are the windows in the family room big enough to feel open to the outside, or a bit claustrophobic?

Is it flexible? Can you find another seat somewhere on the train during the day or are you locked into your room?

What are the meals like? And.... forgive me if I offend, is this clean, safe transportation?

Thanks for your help. - Pondering in St. Charles

Chuck,

I would tend to think that it would not work well for you in the family room. Unless your son is extremely short for his age, he would most likely be very uncomfortable in a 4'9" long bed. The two child's beds in the family room are only 4 feet 9 inches long. You can click here to see a picture of the room, along with it's dimensions. Scroll down to the bottom.

I would suggest that you consider booking 2 standard bedrooms. I suspect that 2 standard rooms would only cost a little more than the family room. If you call Amtrak reservations, you should be able to get two bedrooms that are opposite each other. This would still allow you to look out both sides of the train, even though there would be a hall separating your rooms.

As far as window size, they are much larger than those found in an airplane. Plus each standard room has two side-by-side windows. The family room has windows on each side of the car.

While you can't just take any seat in one of the coach cars, you could ask for permission if you really wanted to sit back there. Additionally, you will spend some time in the diner for your meals, plus there is the Sightseer Lounge car.

The Sightseer Lounge has large almost floor to ceiling windows and is a great place to check out the scenery. Seating is first come, first served and is open to all passengers on the train.

Most people find that the meals are decent and adequate. Like any restaurant, it really depends on the staff. Some crews are better than others, but I've never really had terrible service or food. Note that all of your meals are included in the price of your sleeper tickets.

As for safe transportation, it's certainly safer than an airplane. Amtrak has a far better track record than just about any airline. If you mean safe, in terms of theft and the like, then again there are very few, if any problems. Just remember to never leave wallets or purses in your room if you are not there. You should also place out of sight, any cameras, video games, and other similar items.

You luggage overall should be quite safe. Access to the sleepers is restricted to passengers traveling in the sleeper. Coach passengers are not permitted to wander around in the sleepers. You can also lock your door at night or whenever you are in the room. There is no way to lock the door however, if you are not in the room.

Focusing on the part about sitting down in the coaches during the day. As Alan said, you could do it with permission. Once on board, however, I think you probably will not really want that. You would not only have to ask permission, finding seats for all of you might be a problem plus you don't know when the seats will be needed by others who are boarding down the line. I think you will do fine with the lounge, the diner, walking around, and just looking out the window from your room. I believe once on board you will find the idea of sitting in coach seats kind of awkward.

I find the food to usually be quite good, esp. breakfast and dinner. The whole idea of eating real food at a real table while the scenery goes by is really one of the best parts of train travel.Luncheon menu is sort of skimpy.

It is a clean, safe environment and you will really like the freedom to move about, stretch your legs, etc, not be confined with a seat belt, that sort of thing.

I've seen as many as two adults and one teen child in a Standard Bedroom, and a Family Room filled with exactly what you propose to do. Though these looked like rather crowded and uncomfortable circumstances to me, the passengers in both these instances seemed perfectly content. Some people are very tolerant of situations that others would find bad. I was surprised the conductor allowed the three people in the Standard Bedroom. Conductors change rather frequently throughout the trip, but all of them only seemed only to care of everyone had a valid ticket.

I strongly suggest the recommendations of AlanB.

I find the food rather good, and consistently so. It is simple standard American food, with a small but comprehensive selection: there is something for everyone’s taste. There is also lots of it; they really pile it on in the dinner. I find the breakfast especially good, and superior to anything I've found anywhere on fixed land.

Your property is rather safe, I would think, in the sleeper. Amtrak passengers on the long haul routes seem to quickly form a kind of temporary community among themselves, together with the service staff, especially in the sleepers. They watch out for each other. This ad hoc civilized behavior is one of Amtrak's charms. I was on the Empire Builder recently -in a Standard Sleeper- when a coach passenger entered the sleeper to steal a cup of coffee that is free to the sleeper passengers. He did not get far. You would think he was stealing nuclear secrets. The attendant took care of the intruder in the blink of an eye.

Everything is much bigger than you’ll see in the air: windows, seats, meals – everything.

The cleanliness of the accommodations depends on the attendant in your sleeper and your fellow passengers. Recent changes in Amtrak management seem to be having a positive effect on the trains in the west. I’ve found the private accommodations and the common areas to be at least as clean as what you would find in any similar public situation. This was not generally the case until last October, when things suddenly got much cleaner.

do NOT depend on getting 3 people in a standard bedroom. The room includes meals, and you can bet your butt SOMEBODY will catch on and you'll be s.o.l. Three people ARE allowed in a deluxe, but I can't see you getting away with in in a standard unless it's a baby or toddler.

Yes, two standard rooms would probably work out the best for you. If you call 800-USA-RAIL or book your trip in a station, the agents will make sure you get two rooms directly across from each other or side-by-side, whichever you prefer. The earlier you book your trip the more choices of rooms you will have. I would not try to travel in the family room if I were you... Enjoy your trip! :D

My wife and I had a family sleeper and it worked out pretty good for us. We both slept in the lower bunks (after trying the upper) and felt comfortable. I'm 5'10", she's 5' 6". There should be plenty of room for the kids in the uppers. Plus you have three restrooms and the shower on the lower level. The cost for us was only slightly more than the standard sleeper. We loved it especially having a window on both sides of the train. we'll try it again on our next trip. The kids should enjoy the movies too.

Good luck.

P.S. Book early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back