Favorite Paint Scheme

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Paint Scheme

• Phase I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phase II

• Phase III

• Phase IV

• Phase IVB/VI

• Phase V

• Acela

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
I'd like to try the poll out using the question of peoples favorite paint scheme. So vote for the one you like best, of course. Thanks to Anthony for turning the poll option on.

Phase I

amt21226.jpg

amt1027.jpg

Phase II

amt1219.jpg

Phase III

abr25009.jpg

Phase IV

abrAmfleet-Is_and_an_HHP-8atWashingtonDC.jpg

Phase V

abrP42-204,175_and_9@Philadelphia.jpg

Phase IVB/VI

abr25093.jpg

Acela (Phase V):

amt85500.jpg

abr82069.jpg

Ok, here's the scoop. I HAD to vote III, because that was always the scheme when I was a little boy and got into trains in the first place. That scheme represents excitement to me. However, I do have to say that the IV or IVB/VI scheme is much more modern, and probably more appropriate.

Let me just say this, no one here has any taste, I'm the only one who voted for IV. what's worng with you people, jeez.

battalion51 said:
Let me just say this, no one here has any taste, I'm the only one who voted for IV. what's worng with you people, jeez.
"Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder"

My View on each scheme:

I -Ok, not bad for its time period, but not as good in comparison to later ones

II-One of the If not the worst Scheme

III-The best in my opinion, really stands out on the equipment, easier to see from Furter Distance, as dosen't blend like IV/VI, it stood for America, Even red, white, and blue stripes. Plus the Scheme of one of the eras of one of the greatest presidents, W. Graham Claytor Jr.

IV-Definitely Modern, but I don't like how red and white blend to pink whe viewed from a distance

V- Good for P-42's, I think IV works best for them however. I don't mind it, I've gotten used to it

Acela- Bad on Amfleet Equipment, good on Acela Express.

VI- Nice but I don't like the size of the numbers or how the car is identified.

As much as I'd like to see III return, it won't happen anytime soon. So I guess Ideally the best scheme would be a mix of IV and IVb, with the Logo (I like the Arrow, but I know Its gone), a red safety stripe, but the numbers and car types (ex., "Superliner" and "Sleeping Car") like on Phase IV.

I wouldn't mind Phase III so much if it were a richer red and blue. What the Genesis engines wore are more of the colors I think te cars should have worn.

I'm glad we've agreed III was fairly good, as the polls show, one of the best (second to VI, keeping in mind only a few members voted).

I'll say this, I hope to one day follow in Gunn's footsteps and become Amtrak's President (I know unlikely, but it pays to dream), and I'd like III to be the Scheme, and Arrow the logo if I ever make it to that position (I know many know this doesn't make sense).

Maybe I'll let you pick the sceme when you're one of my vice presidents. Then again I am the CEO and have override powers.

Really, I pictured you in more of a position closer to the trains, like Conductor, Engineer, or Attendant. I don't want this to become a heated arguement or anything so lets just say we'll (hopefully) see each other on the top positions of Amtrak.

Well I certainly will not and do not want to be a top official at Amtrak. I just want to enjoy what I do (Viewliner, you have your famous quote about this). I would like to study Business Marketing in college so I'll see where that leaves me. Let me say that I put trust in both of you if you ever become president of Amtrak (or another railroad). :)

Amfleet said:
Well I certainly will not and do not want to be a top official at Amtrak. I just want to enjoy what I do (Viewliner, you have your famous quote about this). I would like to study Business Marketing in college so I'll see where that leaves me. Let me say that I put trust in both of you if you ever become president of Amtrak (or another railroad).   :)
Thanks for your kind words Jon, I'm glad to say this is what I want to do, and if given the opportunity will enjoy it. I plan to write a letter to David Gunn this summer, consisting of praise and questions, including ones on advice on what clases to take/fields and degrees to pursue if I want to follow in his footsteps.

Jon, I hope you get that job you have goals of getting, and think I'd feel confident having someone like you handle business marketing for Amtrak, if I could.

Viewliner said:
I'm glad we've agreed III was fairly good, as the polls show, one of the best (second to VI, keeping in mind only a few members voted).
I'll say this, I hope to one day follow in Gunn's footsteps and become Amtrak's President (I know unlikely, but it pays to dream), and I'd like III to be the Scheme, and Arrow the logo if I ever make it to that position (I know many know this doesn't make sense).
And which side of Congress do you expect to give you, as Amtrak President, yet more money in which to change the color scheme yet again?? :rolleyes:

Keep in mind, people, that when you are talking about "paint" schemes, it's not always really paint, it's decals. Get up really close to one of those trains, where in many cases it's peeling off, and you can see they just apply new decals rather than painting the exteriors.

Avtually it is a mixture of paint and decals I beleive. On the Amfleets in Phase III for example there are really to wide red and blue stripes painted on and then a white stripe decal applied down the middle to cover up where the red and blue are joined. On Phase IV Cars I think one band of dark blue paint is applied, then the red and white pin stripes are decals.

Viewliner, in a recent interview with David Gunn on C-Span he said he answers almost every letter sent to him. Good luck with your letter! B)

I can't speak about single-level equipment, but I know on the Superliners that it's just big decals that are slapped on the side. You can even see where the decals meet on some Superliner I's that have been "repainted".

Amfleet said:
Viewliner, in a recent interview with David Gunn on C-Span he said he answers almost every letter sent to him. Good luck with your letter! B)
For what Amfleet Said, I remember seeing a baggage car in philly with part of the White Decal on a baggage car missing and could see what you meant.

As for the letter:

I saw the interview and that motivated me to want to write that letter when I have the time in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back