Favorite railroading activity on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite railroading activity on the train

• 1. Riding in the last car watching the tracks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Listening to a scanner

• 3. keeping track of the train's progress

• 4. calculating the speed of the train

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just like sitting in the seat, just soaking in the atmosphere of the train and all of the activity going on board and checking out the equopment on the train! Watching out the window is always good too!

I agree with other posters though, eating aboard the train is a great experience!

But out of those choices I would have to put ... keeping track of the progress and seeing what cause the various delays and stuff.

I also like to right some stuff down so I can go post a trip report online on a site like this!! :D

All of these reasons make Amtrak the WAY to travel, I think!

I would definitely say the Dining Car experience is a favorite of mine, especially when you are sitting with nice people. The Sleeping Car experience is also great because of the solitude you can get, no screaming kids, annoying people, etc.

I really like everything equally, I love having meals in the Diners, I like walking through the train to look out the rear, sometimes its nice just to soak in the atmosphere. I like how in a sleeper, the gentle motion makes it hard to stay awake at night.

Someday I will have to get a scanner, I wanna listen in on whats going on "Behind the scenes" up in the cab and with the dispatcher and such.

That would be useful to see what is really going on when the train is stopped for out in the middle of nowhere and without the crew announcing whats going on!

P40Power said:
Someday I will have to get a scanner, I wanna listen in on whats going on "Behind the scenes" up in the cab and with the dispatcher and such.
That would be useful to see what is really going on when the train is stopped for out in the middle of nowhere and without the crew announcing whats going on!
I have a scanner now, but I really want a GPS unit, that would be kind of cool to see your location on the Map (since it only works in 1 Amfleet II Lounge).

Well Viewliner you don't need a GPS if you ride enough to get yourself familiar with the physical characteristics of the route. I personally am qualified on Miami-Deland, I can tell you where we are to within two miles (although calling signals does help in the process).

Viewliner said:
P40Power said:
I have a scanner now, but I really want a GPS unit, that would be kind of cool to see your location on the Map (since it only works in 1 Amfleet II Lounge).
My GPS worked great on my last trip (though it did not get a signal in a Superliner) and at one point down the corridor it read a speed of 126mph. It was also neat to see the speed fluxuate as we approached tunnels, stations, and what not.

Amfleet said:
Viewliner said:
P40Power said:
My GPS worked great on my last trip (though it did not get a signal in a Superliner) and at one point down the corridor it read a speed of 126mph. It was also neat to see the speed fluxuate as we approached tunnels, stations, and what not.
By it, I meant the tracker in the lounge. I may have to put that on hold for now if I get a digital camera, but my trip isn't till December, so maybe I'll be able to get it in time for that trip.

Well I voted for keeping track of a trains progress, cause I do LOVE running late. But I would have to choose two, both scanner and progress, because atleast for me they always seem to come hand in hand. :)

I use my scanner to keep track of the trains progress and speed so that one element encompasses everything else for me.

I love it all of course. But I must say, after my just completed trip, I especially enjoyed the luxury of my deluxe bedroom. Why, specifically? Because I had just endured the Great 2003 N.E Blackout, as I will explain when I make my trip report.

I had it much easier than many other folks, but I did have a couple days of hot stuffy hotel rooms, etc. SO........what I am saying is.........kicking my shoes off and soaking in the deliciously cool temps on my Crescent's deluxe viewliner bedroom, with a diet soda with ICE, imagine that, NEVER felt as good or as needed as that day. Also, I really needed the shower that night on the train.(The hotel water was restored, but no hot water).

Enough of this, or I will give away my trip before I make my report.

As noted on an earlier post, I do indeed enjoy the tracks disappearing behind me, and since that is kind of unique, not always available because what might be on the rear of the train, I have chosen to vote for that.

I have to agree that watching as the train go'es into & out of tunnels & around curve's is fun from the back of the train...also sleeping rooms & meals!! B)

carknocker51 said:
I have to agree that watching as the train go'es into & out of tunnels & around curve's is fun from the back of the train...also sleeping rooms & meals!! B)
This brings back memories of one of the coolest experiences of my life. Three years ago I was invited into a private car (the sierra hotel) and was allowed to ride for about 300 miles. It was too cool!

I will post a full recount in the trip report forum soon.

Dining, reading, and looking out the windows are my favorite activities. I put keeping track of the train's speed though, this is fun on the shorter corridor routes like the San Joaquin but isn't really interesting on routes like the Starlight or Zephyr. I have been thinking about getting one of those GPS systems to bring along on my trips but I don't know anything about them. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks! :D

jccollins said:
Dining, reading, and looking out the windows are my favorite activities. I put keeping track of the train's speed though, this is fun on the shorter corridor routes like the San Joaquin but isn't really interesting on routes like the Starlight or Zephyr. I have been thinking about getting one of those GPS systems to bring along on my trips but I don't know anything about them. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks! :D
Though your just starting college and cash may be a bit short, try Radio Shack. The one in my mall had a display set up with three recievers ranging from $200-500. If that is a little to pricey, but you have access to a laptop, check this company out. I just purchased a reciever for my last trip from them and it worked great.

I personally would check Best Buy. While Best Buy does have a smaller selection I always find they have low prices on what I want to buy, I.E. my scanner, $70 at Best Buy, a similar model at Radio Shack $100, big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back