First Time Long Distance Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for the experience and realize that hopefully in May, full dining with onboard preparation will return. Nothing better than dining in the diner while watching the scenery go by. There's currently little to no dining in the dining car as the preference is to dine in your room. The current preferences and food offerings are Covid-19 substitutes.

We have been to GC before, but girls want to go there for one more time. So a quick trip to GC and than 2 days in sedona.

Have you taken the Grand Canyon Railway? It's a great way to visit the GC from the Flagstaff area.. It's now operating again, albeit now with social-distancing seating arrangements.

I hope you get to take another LD trip again someday if Amtrak brings back the proper-cooked food once the pandemic is over. It's so much better than the microwave stuff they're serving now. =(

Another vote for not missing the Sedona Desert Museum in Tucson - it is awesome. Don't let the word "museum" scare you away if you aren't a museum person. It is more of an outside zoo and botanical garden experience. Very highly recommended.

Another vote for not missing the Sedona Desert Museum in Tucson - it is awesome. Don't let the word "museum" scare you away if you aren't a museum person. It is more of an outside zoo and botanical garden experience. Very highly recommended.
That is the Sonora Desert Museum. The Sonoran Desert extends down into Mexico. Sedona is a nice town south of Flagstaff.

Have you taken the Grand Canyon Railway? It's a great way to visit the GC from the Flagstaff area.. It's now operating again, albeit now with social-distancing seating arrangements.

I hope you get to take another LD trip again someday if Amtrak brings back the proper-cooked food once the pandemic is over. It's so much better than the microwave stuff they're serving now. =(

Thank you so much for the suggestion . We are booked on it !!! so much looking forward to it. I hope my family doesnt have a overdose of trains. A little bit expensive but maybe worth it !!!

If you in that area, you are also in striking distance of Biosphere 2

We had been there in Dec 2019. Great place. Thank you for the suggestion .Cheers.

Thank you for the suggestion. We plan to go there. Regards

I'm finally taking an LD this summer, delayed from last year. I'm not going to let the food stop me, at least for a one night trip. I can just bring my own like I do now.

Agreed. Dining Car experience is the best, but we wanted to travel when we could. ITs a lot of things to coordinate.

Don't underestimate the importance of having washing and shower facilities in the room. You may be better off with connecting bedrooms. If you are flexible with day of departure you may be able to get a better fare.

The food is poor so you may want to bring along fresh fruit and snacks. Do check things out... you may be better off if you do.

We plan to bring plenty of "Fiber" snacks and food along. My family is vegeterian so we travel loaded with food anyways. Great suggestion though, very much appreciated.

Here's some of my tips/, sorry if that have already been mentioned.

-Bring snacks! The cafe car can be expensive for four people, and the dining car meals are currently not good. So bring PLENTY of snacks. They cannot store it for you though, so keep thatin mind.

-I would strongly advise you bring a power strip. If you are not in a bedroom you will only have ONE outlet. If you bring a power strip you will be able to charge multiple devices at once.

-Much of the trip (especially around New Mexico I would think) there is NO service. So bring books, coloring, etc. Anything that will keep you busy when you cannot use your devices. I personally though, would be looking out the window as the scenery through New Mexico is really pleasant.

-With four people, I'd advise you to not spend much time in your rooms. Spend time in the sightseer lounge car. It is located towards the middle of the train, behind the diner and in front of the coaches. There are floor to ceiling windows, lounge chairs facing the window, and plenty of spaces to charge your device. It makes a great place to hang and meet other people. In the downstairs there is a cafe, however the prices are on the steep side, so maybe don't purchase from there. Oh, and cashless purchases only from there in the pandemic.

-Tipping your dining staff and sleeper attendant is the norm. Be prepared. I, being young, don't know exactly how much, but I'm sure other can advise you on what to be prepared for.

-I see you already booked. But seeing the age of your children, I would definitely opt for the roomettes or bedroom for any future trips. The family room may be a bit cramped with four people. And I'm sure your (then) teen would enjoy the extra space/privacy that comes with the bedroom/roomette.

-Masks ARE required at all times in the train, unless you are actively eating or drinking. Not sure your thoughts on that, but keep it in mind. According to (very) recent updates, you should have your mask on in your room, however I doubt it will be enforced. Just close the curtain.

-Take advantage of the shower! It's honestly not that bad to use. And I'm sure with four people you will want to use it. I'd advise you to use it at a fresh air stop for the first time as they are longer and will give you a chance to get use to it without being bumped around.

-The train can get very late. Expect a delay of up to 90 minutes. Now, BNSF (the company who owns the tracks) are generally good with the Chief. However it has been seen running over 5 hours late.

-With Amtrak staff, it's a hit or miss. There are stories of terrible crews who couldn't care less about your experience, and others that will make it one you will always remember.

-Don't try to bring all your luggage in your room. Just down the hall from you will be large luggage racks that should have no problem accommodating your luggage. Put all/most of your bags there when you board, find out your room, then get situated. Maybe pack to ensure one bag has all the necessities in it, so you don't have to rummage through it all. Any luggage that you check can NOT be accessed under any circumstances.

-Don't get off at any station that is not a fresh air stop. if you do, do not stray more than 10 feet as they will leave you.

-The last thing I can think of, is just be open minded and respectful. In the end, this is public transit. Just enjoy the ride.

Also, I should be hopping on the Chief on the 27h from Fullerton (first stop outside of LAX) to Chicago. Would've been fun if we were going at the same time...

If I think of anything else and remember this post, I will be sure to tell ya!

Oh, if any of you are into history, between Raton and Lamy (I think) there are many semaphore signals on the line. This is the ONLY line with these that receive regular service, and are going to be replaced soon. And you will pass the final wig wag that services a 'main line' in Delhi, CO. And of course, this route is FULL of history. You can probably easily check Wikapedia and see some of it. Happy travels.

So sorry this went on forever...

Well, my summer vacation is booked now. Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh on Saturday, overnight in Pittsburgh, westbound Capitol Limited (scored a Bedroom for only $6 more than a Roomette) to Chicago on Sunday, spend the weekend in Chicago, eastbound Capitol Limited Roomette Saturday, and then a Northeast Regional from DC Sunday.

Well, my summer vacation is booked now. Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh on Saturday, overnight in Pittsburgh, westbound Capitol Limited (scored a Bedroom for only $6 more than a Roomette) to Chicago on Sunday, spend the weekend in Chicago, eastbound Capitol Limited Roomette Saturday, and then a Northeast Regional from DC Sunday.
Nice!!!

Excellent plan, Cal, with one caveat: Pittsburgh deserves at least a full day! Or more. Don't even dream of renting a car; plenty to see within walking distance (or hop on a bus to the university/museum district).
Lol, I'm not going, Mailliw is.

And I deliberately went with the 1 day layover in Pittsburgh; I've lived in PA my entire life, but never been. As far as renting a car, I hate driving and try to avoid it on vacation. One of the many reasons I like trains.

And I deliberately went with the 1 day layover in Pittsburgh; I've lived in PA my entire life, but never been. As far as renting a car, I hate driving and try to avoid it on vacation. One of the many reasons I like trains.

Apologies to Cal for mixing up "who's traveling;" and congrats to Mailliw on your summer trip plans and your first visit to the 'burgh! I hope the pandemic will be sufficiently under control by then to let you enjoy that jewel of a city. (Who, me? Biased?) If you're a good walker you can easily get to the Incline, the Point, PNC Park, the Warhol Museum, the Aviary, the Heinz Museum, and the Strip District on foot, just to name a few. And the "T" subway system is free in the downtown area.

Don't forget to snap a picture of the famous rotunda at the old Pittsburgh Union Station, with its four pillars showing the great hubs of the Pennsylvania RR: New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and Pittsburg. Yes, for a brief period in the early 1900s, Pittsburgh lost its "h."

Yinz will enjoy your day. (Yinz = Pittsburghese for "y'all.")

The 4th city is not Washington but Chicago. :)

Not according to this source: The Rotunda - Popular Pittsburgh! "The Rotunda was capped by a low dome and corner pendentives, each bearing the names of the four large cities served by the Pennsylvania Railroad—Pittsburgh [sic*], New York, Philadelphia, and Washington."

* Pittsburgh lost its "h" between 1890 and 1911 (see Name of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia), which just happened to span the period when the glorious Union Station and its rotunda were designed by architect Daniel Burnham. So the rotunda actually shows "Pittsburg."

Not according to this source: The Rotunda - Popular Pittsburgh! "The Rotunda was capped by a low dome and corner pendentives, each bearing the names of the four large cities served by the Pennsylvania Railroad—Pittsburgh [sic*], New York, Philadelphia, and Washington."

I stand corrected! Image 29 (of 37) at https://artistic-pursuits.photoshel...sylvanian/G0000zQYUvyQAoQ8/1/C00000qD483u0.Qw clearly shows the pillar for "Chicago." (This evidence was hard to find online; the rotunda is much-photographed, but most close-ups focus on the pillar spelled "Pittsburg," image 28 of 37, for obvious reasons.)

So the source I quoted is incorrect, and Pittsburgh, PA – Union Station (PGH) – Great American Stations is correct. Ditto jpakala.

* Pittsburgh lost its "h" between 1890 and 1911 (see Name of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia), which just happened to span the period when the glorious Union Station and its rotunda were designed by architect Daniel Burnham. So the rotunda actually shows "Pittsburg."
I am guessing they named those four cities because at the time they did, those four were on the "core" PRR, while Chicago was on its subsidiaries, PFtW&C or PCC&StL. Not sure just a guess...

Back