First time use of the LIRR East Side Access Terminal in New York City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to take a round trip to New York City over the Presidents’ Day weekend on the Lake Shore Limited. The trip out was consistent with many other trips. Left on time, flex dining and an enjoyable ride in day light from Erie to New York City. One annoyance was that I usually order cereal with my continental breakfast but was told no by this attendant. I could have the sandwich or cereal but not both.

We arrived into New York on time or a few minutes early. I made my pilgrimage to Pizza Suprema and then took an Uber to my hotel. For this trip I stayed at the Grayson. This is a new Hyatt property on 39th street and 5th avenue a few blocks from Grand Central. I’ve become dissatisfied with Hilton’s lack of consistency and am gradually shifting over to Hyatt. This property excelled with a fast, polite check in. The room was small, expected in NYC, but well designed and comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was perfect. The bacon outstanding.

I walked over to Grand Central and had lunch at Luke’s Lobster’s Rolls. This is located in the lower level where the other food outlets are located. Expensive, but excellent. Not too filling.

I expected that there would be clear signage for getting from Grand Central to the East Side Access terminal. There wasn’t. I am glad I did online research before leaving the hotel. The MTA website gives clear instructions and includes a map. Once I left the restaurant I looked for track 112. I found track 112 but did not see any obvious signs for access to the new station. I wondered upstairs to the main concourse and took pictures and then asked for directions to the new terminal. I was directed back down to track 112. There are platforms on each side of track 112. The platform on the left side leads to East Side Access. I figured this out the hard way by walking on the right side of the track 112 until I saw the new entrance. There was no sign to telling me this was the entrance. My online research and the photos of the new terminal that I remembered clued me in. I walked back and into the new entrance.

I then took a long escalator down to another level where I saw signs for tracks in the 200s and tracks in the 300s. There was a digital train status board listing all the departures but there were no track numbers listed. Then as I walked down a long hallway I heard an announcement that the shuttle to Jamaica was leaving from track 301. I passed another digital sign that showed that the train to Jamaica was leaving on track 301. I walked passed a set of stairs and an escalator leading up from 301. Then I saw a sign telling me to keep walking to find the elevator to 301. I walked another few minutes and saw elevators and took it to track 301. It looked like each platform had sets of elevators. I also saw signs to public restrooms which I regretted skipping as I rushed to get to track 301.

I found the train and road it to Jamaica. It arrived on track 6. A few minutes later I heard and announcement that the next train to Jamaica was leaving from track 6. So apparently the shuttle goes back and forth using the same platform at Jamaica.

My train to Penn station left from track two. There was a digital sign indicating which cars are crowded and which cars are not crowded. Green mean not crowded, yellow means some what, orange, more, and red very crowded. I wonder how they do that? When I boarded I found the information to be accurate. This amazing to me because Chicago’s CTA has issues with ghost trains and busses on it status app.

When we reached Penn Station I was able to find an up elevator to the concourse along the LIRR corridor which was familiar territory. I walked west until I saw signs for Monyhan train hall. I used ramps that led down through the station concourse for the 8th avenue subway and back up to the new station.

IMHO finding the new station at Grand Central was not intuitive. Based on the maps that I looked at it was designed to accommodate people coming in off of 6th Avenue and other areas west of Grand Central. If you are using this station for the first time do your online research ahead of time and allow extra time if you are not from NYC.

Very helpful. Sometimes signage seems adequate on the drawings and it takes a walk-through to really understand where the weak points are, And then there are inter-agency issues,

Here's my surmise about how those passenger loadings may be reported. My peripheral involvement with the technology goes back to 1969. In brief, Automatic Passenger Counters (APC) based on Cold War infra-red systems are running a simple arithmetic problem, adding and subtracting passengers as they enter and leave each car, The tricky part that relies on software and precision hardware is recognizing people when they are so diverse and often come in bunches.

There are other ways that loadings might be reported, but the advantage of APC's combined with GPS reports for each stop rewards the service planners and schedulers with a Niagara of data. At Colorado's RTD a number of bottom level Service Monitor jobs were gradually phased out as the APC/GPS info was tamed, but some new positions were required to supervise the flow of data.

There are signs on the archways. This is on the main concourse over one of the stairways down to the dining concourse:
View attachment 31404

This is over the entrance to the Madison Concourse at the west end of the dining concourse:
View attachment 31405
From that photo, it appears to me that they are trying more to maintain the classic aesthetics of the old Terminal, than putting highly visible, “user friendly” signage in…🤷‍♂️

From that photo, it appears to me that they are trying more to maintain the classic aesthetics of the old Terminal, than putting highly visible, “user friendly” signage in…🤷‍♂️
Well, yeah! After all all, it is GCT. I certainly wouldn't like a bunch of schlocky signs destroying the aesthetic.

I missed those. I was looking for newer signs. The whole process of going to track 112 was counterintuitive. It seemed like i entered through a “back door”.
I see where the MTA site says you can access the Madison Concourse from the Track 114 platform, but looking at the GCT & Madison maps, I can't figure out why they would direct you that way, since you'd already be on the dining concourse to get to the platform, and the main entrance to the Madison Concourse is on the dining concourse.

I have only visited halfway there so far, If you go to the food court (or at least what used to be one) there are escalators down. However, those just take you to the beginning of a long hallway, that seems envisioned to have shops someday. I was tired after a long day and decided not to take the long walk only to have to walk back.

I have only visited halfway there so far, If you go to the food court (or at least what used to be one) there are escalators down. However, those just take you to the beginning of a long hallway, that seems envisioned to have shops someday. I was tired after a long day and decided not to take the long walk only to have to walk back.
True. This is on the MTA website:
1676987106342.png

Looks like the shortest walk will be from the Biltmore Room on the northwest corner of the main concourse, but in the videos I've seen that entrance was still under construction.

The people giving me directions told me the best way to go IMHO. The entrance to the East Side Acces did not have any signs once I entered the platform area. IMHO it appeared to me that track 112 had platforms on both sides. There should have been a sign directing me to walk to the left once I entered the platform area. There should have been another sign next to entrance identifying that this door led to East Side Access.

This coming Monday, February 27th .... will see the end of the shuttle trains to Jamaica ... and the commencement of revised service, with through trains going to 9and leaving) Grand Central Madison.

The LIRR is also boosting service due to the addition of what is called the "Third Track" - a 10-mile additional track that is "a central element to the LIRR Main Line Expansion Project, which includes the renewal of five LIRR stations along the route, the elimination of eight at-grade railroad crossings, upgrades at seven railroad bridges, parking expansions, installation of new sound attenuation barriers and landscaping improvements".

Back