FIRST TRAIN RIDE

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am booked on the City of New Orleans out of Cardondale, IL transferring to the Sunset Limited to Orlando. What are these trains like.

I have reserved sear on lower level. They offered "R" & "LL" - what is the difference? Can I get First Class seating on these trains? I called Amtrak, they only gave me basic information. I am not nervous about the train ride itself, just seating. I want to be comfortable. I catch the train at 1 am from Cardondale. I have looked at the sleepers, not sure about those either. I mainly want to be able to plug my laptop in at my seat, and make sure the seat reclines enough to be comfortable.

Can anyone provide more details?

HELP! :unsure:

Coach seating, whether upstairs or downstairs, is very comfortable on those trains. It is roughly equal to first class seating on the airlines.

In the trains you will be riding you really do not need a concept of "first class" for public seating . Some trains, which go shorter distances than these do, and are not of the huge double deck type, do have services with names like "busness class", club seating, etc.

First class, on a long distance train, refers to sleeping car rooms. One advantage to going sleeper is that your dining car meals are included in the price. I gather that you have already purchased your ticket? If so, you might want to consider upgrading to a sleeper en route, if one is available, and you feel you would like it.

The sunset limited is habitually late so be prepared to board late in the evening if not early the next morning. When are you traveling? Because the sunset has been annulled east of New Orleans for the next few weeks.

engine999 said:
The sunset limited is habitually late so be prepared to board late in the evening if not early the next morning. When are you traveling? Because the sunset has been annulled east of New Orleans for the next few weeks.
I leave Cardondale, IL at 1:30 Am on June 13, 04 arrive in NO that afternoon at 3PM, due to leave for Orlando on the Sunset at 10:30 that evening, arriving Orlando the next day at 8 PM.

So Sunset Limited is not operating right now? I have purchased tickets.

But I don't travel until June 13th. How do I check the status of this train?

Bill Haithcoat said:
Coach seating, whether upstairs or downstairs, is very comfortable on those trains. It is roughly equal to first class seating on the airlines.
In the trains you will be riding you really do not need a concept of "first class" for public seating . Some trains, which go shorter distances than these do, and are not of the huge double deck type, do have services with names like "busness class", club seating, etc.

First class, on a long distance train, refers to sleeping car rooms. One advantage to going sleeper is that your dining car meals are included in the price. I gather that you have already purchased your ticket? If so, you might want to consider upgrading to a sleeper en route, if one is available, and you feel you would like it.
Thanks for your reply. I understand about the seating now.

Yes, I have purchased my ticket. Someone else replied to my post saying the Sunset Limited is not operatin right now. I am just trying to find out more information on that.

I just might upgrade to sleeper, but I am thinking I should wait until I am onboard, it seems it might be cheaper then too.

I just spoke with amtrak - they told me the #2 train Sunset Limited is running and will be as far as they know. The trains coming down out of Washington and Charlotte will be affected by major CSX track work starting Apr 24 - June 22 -track between Savannah & Jacksonville is being replaced. According to amtrak, at this time their is no problems with Sunset Unlimited, other then the fact that is does run late at times.

Not sure which trains are affected by the eastern track work.

Nonetheless, I'll keep checking with Amtrak every few weeks to make sure the Sunset Unlimited is still running.

The Sunset should be unaffected by the curfews as the curfew's Southern limit is three miles north of the JAX station. I know there is some track work going on out towards Pensacola with a few select trains being annulled, but no major cancellations.

I was assuming you were taking your trip in mid may. A few of the trains are being cancelled in late april and mid may.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back