First trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first time posting here. I have planned a trip on the Capitol Limited for me and my daughter. She is 12 and in the 6th grade. I have booked a roomette sleeper. We are leaving Chicago on March 25th and come back on April 2nd. We are going to Delaware to visit my family there. Other than the local Metra train this will be our first experiance with train travel. Both me and my daughter are really looking forward to it. I have read several travelouges and have some idea what to expect. If my daughter and I like it we may take the Zepher out to San Fran next year to visit her godfather. I am curious though on how the dining works. We depart chicago at 5:30 at night. Do they start dinner shortly after that? Do we have to make reservations ahead of time or when we get on the train? Also if someone could give me ideas about tipping I would greatly appreciate it. Also my tickets say that I am in car 3000 room 3 for the tripout. Is room 3 on an upper level or lower level? Any and all info would be great. I am really hoping for this to be not only time for my oldest and me to spend time together (mom and younger sister didn't want to go) but a great way for her to see this great country of ours.

Lot's of questions, I'll try to tackle them as best as I can.

First off when you arrive in Chicago head to the Metropolitan Lounge which is towards the back of the station (between the north and south concourse on the ground). Here you will be able to chack in and relax in a comfortable quiet environment. They also have complimentary drinks and light snacks in the room.

They will likely begin boarding around 5:00-5:15, with First Class (Sleeping Car) passengers in the Metropolitan Loung being boarded first. You will head to your room which is upstairs right next to the attendants room. There is a restroom upstairs, with additional restrooms and a shower downstairs. I believe the Capitol has a short meal period in the Diner leaving Chicago, likely with the LSA walking through the cars announcing that dinner is being served.

As far as tipping goes: in the Diner I use the 3-4-5 system (for two people) $3 for Breakfast, $4 for lunch, and $5 for dinner. In the sleeping car I do $5 per person per night, so $10 for your attendant. A one way trip is a total of $22 in tips.

B51 answered some of your questions; I’ll try and answer a few more along with clarifying some of his answers.

Your sleeper tickets qualify you as a First Class passenger on Amtrak. As a first class passenger you are entitled to utilize Amtrak's first class lounge Chicago. These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, newspapers, TV's, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and clean safe bathrooms. They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses.

In Chicago the lounge is called the "Metropolitan Lounge". It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months. Just show your tickets to the attendant and relax. Note the Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding. Note: They will make you leave your carry-on bags in the luggage room inside the lounge, you cannot take them to your seats due to the sometimes crowded nature of the lounge.

As for reservations in the dinning car, the odds are you probably won’t need them. If however you do, they can only be made on the train. You cannot make reservations ahead of time. The Lead Service Attendant (LSA), will come around to your sleeping car to take reservations, if they are needed.

The roomette does not have much in the way of room for your luggage, so I highly recommend packing a small overnight bag or two for the essentials, like a change of cloths, toiletries, and maybe a game or two or possibly a good book. Then you can leave your larger suitcase(s) in the luggage rack on the lower level of the sleeper and not need to run up and down the stairs every time you need something.

As for where your room is located, this map from Friends of Amtrak will help to give you the lay of the land.

Additionally, if you haven’t already, you might wish to check out these hints and tips from On Track On Line. The pages are full of hints, first timer tips, and what to expect from a ride on Amtrak.

For dining as a first (sleeper) class, meals are provided as a part of first class package. Two thing that you pay- tipping and alcoholic beverages. For coach class, you'll have to pay for the meals, just like in the resturants.

Usually, the attendant will walk by before dinnertime and ask you for meal times during dinner, depending on how many passengers, and giving you the tickets. If the train is light, they usually announced through the PA, so are the breakfast and lunch.

If you are craving for snacks, there's a snack bar which you'll have to pay for.

I am traveling the Capitol Limited within a couple of days of your trip. Let me add two things to the ideas already posted by more knowledgable people than me.

Unless something has changed, be sure to take advantage of the sighteseer lounge that is part of the Capitol Limited. I've traveled from coast to coast on various trains and usually spend most of the daylight hours in them.

Secondly, several posts have mentioned the fact that you receive complimentary meals as a sleeper passenger. I strongly recommend that you awake soon enough to take in breakfast in the dining car. It might just be me but breakfast never tastes as good as it does in a dining car.

Have a great trip.

He guys. I'm taking the CL on this Friday, first time Amtrak rider.

A couple of quick questions that hopefully weren't answered already:

Do you get to choose which coach to ride?

I understand that coach will be close to capacity, and I really want a seat to myself, or at least an window seat. Does boarding last or on the less packed coach matter?

One of my friends just went to Memphis on Amtrak from Chicago. He said the sightseer lounge closed at 12:30 A.M. Does the lounge close like that on all trains?

Thanks in advance. I'm very excited about this trip.

Usually, a conductor will direct you to a coach to ride. Some places may even assign you a particular seat. In Cleveland, we usually aren't assigned a seat but that may vary by train attendants and capacity.

I may be wrong on this but what you're friend may have meant was that the snack bar in the lounge car closed at 12:30. As far as I know, you can always sit in the lounge car.

Have a fun trip.

For sure. I'll post a mini-trip report as soon as I get back.

I should be a member at the time! LOL!

Six more hours 'til boarding time...

Leaving Monday on our 1st long trip overnight to Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin from Jackson, Mississippi. We have a deluxe sleeper on the City of New Orleans from Jackson to Chicago. Then coach class from Chicago to the Dells.

We have really been looking forward to having a great time!

Back