First Two Turboliners To Enter Revenue Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
According to Trainorders.com, the Two Rohr Turboliner III Sets received by Amtrak are going to enter a two-three week testing period on Monday, between New York and Albany.

After gathering the data from the period, the two sets could enter regular service by May.

Amtrak's First Two Rebuilt Turboliners Set to Enter Revenue ServiceAuthor: TO News

The first pair of SuperSteel-rebuilt Rohr Turboliners are set for revenue testing for a two-week period, beginning next week. Amtrak will release the pair for service between Rensselaer and New York City, New York on Monday.

Amtrak spokesman Daniel Stessel says that the two train sets will replace equipment normally scheduled between the two cities, as part of "live revenue tests". Those test will eye customer reaction and comfort, along with the function ability of each set on this particular corridor.

Stessel said that after two or three weeks worth of data collected from these tests, the trains should enter regular service in May. "It's just prudent to see how they perform without committing to a launch," Stessel said.

Amtrak will keep the rebuilt Turboliners on New York's Empire Corridor, as the state had partially funded the rebuilding of the sets for that specific purpose. The joint venture between New York and Amtrak aimed at providing equipment for high-speed rail travel, without having to acquire new, non-electrified train sets.

Each Rohr-rebuilt set consists of three coaches splitting a power car on each end. They were originally constructed in France during the early 1970s and were completely overhauled and rebuilt by SuperSteel Schenectady, New York.

While two sets have been completed, the $93-million deal between the joint venture (Amtrak and New York) and SuperSteel, calls for a total of seven sets to be remanufactured. Amtrak was also supposed to help fund rail upgrades on the Empire Corridor, however tight funding has caused the passenger carrier to fall behind on its part of the agreement.
The story can be found Here.

Amfleet said:
Thanks for the link Viewliners. :) Maybe I'll be able to give them a whirl this summer. :unsure: :D
I hope I'll be able to as well, or at least photograph them.

Viewliners? Are there two of me now?

Viewliner said:
According to Trainorders.com, the Two Rohr Turboliner III Sets received by Amtrak are going to enter a two-three week testing period on Monday, between New York and Albany.
Just like Superliner Diner, I'm always leery of things posted on Trainorders. They've had a lot of false stories in the past.

However, in this case it would appear that they are indeed correct. NARP is also confirming this story in their weekly Hotline Newsletter. You can read their version here. Scroll down for the story.

Amfleet said:
This story was under their "Today's News" and those stories usually come from reliable sorce. The false stories tend to be on the main boards.
That's exactly why I posted the story, because it was a news article. Had it been from the boards, and not by somebody who has access to Arrow [source] (ex, Gene Poon), I either would not have posted this, or said that there is a chance that...

But you guys are smart to be leery of Trainorders posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back