General Train Travel Information Requested

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the near future, I (and others) will be taking a group of teens from Chicago to NYC's Penn Station by Amtrak (Cardinal Line). Could someone please clue me in as to the amenities that are available on this train? Specifically, are there electrical outlets for the kids to use with their electronic equipment? Is there an entertainment car or are there screens like on a plane where movies are played? What kinds of dining options are there? Is the seating conducive to playing cards (ie. face to face?) Just wondering and any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated! We are all certainly excited about the trip. Thanks.

Have you decided yet for sure which train to take? From CHI to NYC you have three options for direct service: 1. Lake Shore Limited via Buffalo and Albany (fastest w/full service diner and lounge) 2. Three Rivers via Pittsburgh and Philly (second fastest, lounge but no diner) 3. Cardinal via Cincinnati and D.C. (slowest, lounge but no diner) Opinions will vary about which train has the best service and outside scenery but otherwise if your group is travelling in coach the surroundings on the train will be about the same. Check the prices for all three if cost is of concern. Sometimes there are good sales on the internet under the "rail sale" part of the amtrak.com official web page. That web page also has details on the amenities offered on each of the above trains. Group discount fares are also available if your group is largest enough. It is hit and miss as to if your seats will have electric plug ins. Some coaches have one at each pair of seats, while others just have a few spaced out around the car. These three trains are all single level cars and therefore do not have movies in the lounge cars like the double decker superliner trains have. Sometimes some seats in the car are arranged face to face but most face forward. The lounge car has booths and tables that would be a good place to play cards. As to dining options, the LSL has a full dining car with good full service meals but it is pricey. All three trains also offer food service in the lounge cars which has stuff like sandwiches and pizza at a lesser cost. I usually carry on most of my food for long distance train trips to save money. If you haven't been on a train lately keep in mind that while they are still a fun way to travel and a great way to see the landscape, many Amtrak trains do not have very good records of timekeeping and these three between CHI and NYC often arrive at their destinations quite late. As long as you don't plan anything big right away upon arrival you won't stress out if you are late. Have a great trip and let us know if you have any more questions before you depart!

Coach seating is in 2-2 fashion, each with a tray table and reading light. Some coaches have electrical outlets, others don't. It all depends on the interior state of the car and whether it is rebuilt. The Cardinal has no video entertainment, so I would suggest bringing reading material or a portable entertainment device (laptop, DVD player, etc).

Food service is provided in a Dinette, or otherwise thought of as a Diner/Lounge. One half of the car has designated lounge seating where passengers can relax, play games, or read at their own pleasure. The other half of the car is set up as a diner with tables covered in white linens, silverware, flowers, etc. In the middle of the car is a snack bar/food preperation area. One attendant maintains the snack bar for the lounge side which, sells snacks, sandwiches, and drinks, while a second attendant warms food up in a convection oven and acts as a wait staff person for the diner side. Now you can choose to buy your meal at the snack bar or choose sit down diner service.

Thank you very much for all of the great information! We are going with the Cardinal line. We realize we will be getting in quite late and hope to just head to the hotel upon our arrival. I'll be sure to make a post on our experiences after the trip. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back