Gentilly Yard in NOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I keep hearing about the problems that the Sunset has in navigating the CSX Gentilly Yard in New Orleans. Indeed I recall it was very slow going through the yard when I took #1 from ORL to NOL last year. It took us an hour to go maybe six miles.

I seem to remember that the yard was upgraded prior to the Sunset's expansion to Florida in 1993. Did they add a track that was built specifically for the Sunset? If so, why does it take several hours for the train to travel the 53 miles between NOL and Bay St. Louis? Poor dispatching like the UP? Overcapacity?

Thanks!

Like "UP," just remember those three little letters! They are "CSX!" And that should answer any and all question! :D :blink:

NativeSon5859 said:
I keep hearing about the problems that the Sunset has in navigating the CSX Gentilly Yard in New Orleans. Indeed I recall it was very slow going through the yard when I took #1 from ORL to NOL last year. It took us an hour to go maybe six miles.
I seem to remember that the yard was upgraded prior to the Sunset's expansion to Florida in 1993. Did they add a track that was built specifically for the Sunset? If so, why does it take several hours for the train to travel the 53 miles between NOL and Bay St. Louis? Poor dispatching like the UP? Overcapacity?

Thanks!
They actually did put a thru track in specifically for the Sunset, to allow it to navigate through the yard without interfering with yard ops. The several hours are in there to allow the train to back into NOUPT, get through the yard, and provide a lot of padding. On a normal day you'll pick up an hour between the Bay and NOUPT.

The State of Oregon paid for a second track to increase capacity in the Willamette Valley between Eugene and Portland, OR and allow Cascades trains to run on time over the YouPee RR a few years ago, but YouPee has used the second track as a parking lot for their freights and consistently delayed the Cascades trains. It just goes to show you that some host railroads (read YouPee and CSX) are good at finagling the government to get what they want and get to continue successfully screwing Amtrak out of their "guaranteed priority access."

I really hope the new legislative bill that will hold the host railroads responsible for their actions in purposely delaying Amtrak trains passes and that the STB has some teeth in enforcing the bill. <_<

Why doesn't the State just install a "parking meter" and tell YouPee that they will bill them $100,000 (or more) per half-hour for any time a train is literally parked, not moving, on that track? That should do it, and if the State paid for the trackage, they oughta be able to enforce it. If they get any guff from YouPee about it, they ought to be able to find a few roads that cross freight-only routes that YouPee gets a lot of it's revenues from, and just have a few "emergency road repair" sessions that close those crossings, and therefore those routes, for a few days. Seems like YouPee would get the message pretty quickly. Maybe some "suspected sinkholes" under the crossings.

Also NativeSon, if you thought Gentilly was bad, the South Florida corridor is even more of a parking lot. Usually there's at least two or three trains parked at various points on the corridor. It's gotten so bad that some of the Engineers are calling SE Carmen SE Storage since that's all Track 2 does these days. :blink:

Please stop refering to the union pacific railroad as you pee.I know they are screwing amtrak but i think the problem is caused from poor management at the up main office.They run too many trains on single track causing delays everywhere.If they had half a brain they would start double or triple tracking all routes especally the sunset route.But most of it is still single track causing sidings to get backed up like the check out lanes at our local walmart.

And tracks appear overnight? It costs billions of dollars to double track a route, yes I said billions (the Tri-Rail Double Track project for 45 miles of track is costing 1/3 of a billion, so to do a route like the Sunset Route it'd take billions). It also takes a lot of people, equipment and time to lay down tracks. This 45 mile project will take 2 1/2 years or more when said and done. So U Pee can't properly operate, manage, and plan a railroad.

Well wouldnt UP change some of the sidings into a second track? That would eliminate the need for laying track in some areas.

But it's also a question of expense. First, does that siding have heavy enough rail to be acceptable for main track running. Next, is the roadbed built up for the forces of that kind of force. Next, how much is it going to cost to put more ballast under the rail, and replace ties. Then, is the siding long enough for it to be wise to make it Double Track, since good meets on Double Track usually require 4-5 miles of it if it's a textbook meet. A lot of factors to consider.

battalion51 said:
And tracks appear overnight? It costs billions of dollars to double track a route, yes I said billions (the Tri-Rail Double Track project for 45 miles of track is costing 1/3 of a billion, so to do a route like the Sunset Route it'd take billions). It also takes a lot of people, equipment and time to lay down tracks. This 45 mile project will take 2 1/2 years or more when said and done. So U Pee can't properly operate, manage, and plan a railroad.
The BNSF, here at cherokee yards, in Tulsa, Okla, says it takes one million dollars for one mile. So 45 miles here would cost 45 million dollars.

444 Marlin

battalion51 said:
They actually did put a thru track in specifically for the Sunset, to allow it to navigate through the yard without interfering with yard ops. The several hours are in there to allow the train to back into NOUPT, get through the yard, and provide a lot of padding. On a normal day you'll pick up an hour between the Bay and NOUPT.
Just made our reservations for Jan2-6 trip on the SWC and City of NO. I'm excited about my first trip to NO. One of my favorite songs is Arlo's "City of New Orleans". BUT! I saw a picture (Google Maps Sattelite Mode) of the Train Station in New Orleans. Looks like it could be quite a back up opperation; similar to the one at San Antonio on the Eagle.

444 Marlin said:
The BNSF, here at cherokee yards, in Tulsa, Okla, says it takes one million dollars for one mile. So 45 miles here would cost 45 million dollars.
But is that track within yard limits, that's a helluva lot cheaper to lay than mainline.

Back