going south

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

railvet52

Hi everyone, Well tommorow I get to travel from Dearborn, Mi. to Ft. Lauderdale,Fl. by train.First it's # 30 from Tol. to Wash. Union,and than #91 to Ft. Lauderdale.It will be interesting going from the colder North to the warmer South.These trains can really run late,so it'll be nice to have the sleeper cars on both trains.I'll let you know what happens....The 1st leg of the trip is a bus {not worth talking about}

Since your traveling in a sleeper, make sure that you take advantage of the first class lounge, Club Acela in DC while waiting to switch trains.

Otherwise have a great trip. :)

Enjoy your trip. Guess you know you will be experiencing two completely different kinds of equipment.

The first train will be a a superliner double deck consist; the second train will be single level. Sleepers known as "Viewliner" cars.

Hope your trains run on time but in any case it is far better to be in your own private room on a sleeper.

You should enjoy Washington Union Station during your layover. It is a great place to explore. Shops, all kinds of restaurants from fast food to classy, neat suburban trains and subways, even a movie theater. And it is still l enclosed somewhat in its original classic structure.

railvet52 said:
These trains can really run late,so it'll be nice to have the sleeper cars on both trains.
Don't hold to that. For the past couple of weeks the Silver Service trains seem to be running within an hour of their schedule. I can't say the same for the Capitol Limited, but you should be okay. :) Enjoy your trip!

The first train will be a a superliner double deck consist; the second train will be single level. Sleepers known as "Viewliner" cars .......................
.....................The Amtrak agent told me I'd be in the "same" room for both legs of this trip.That means both trains would be viewlinner's???How could this be??

You could be taking the Three Rivers or Lake Shore Limited. Either that or the agent didn't realize the variance in equipment. :blink: :unsure:

The southbound star lately has been doing pretty good on time keeping. Usually withing a half hour of its schedule, the last time I rode it it was actually early into orlando.

David must've been the Engineer. :lol: He's almost always on time or early into Orlando.

Guest said:
The first train will be a a superliner double deck consist; the second train will be single level. Sleepers known as "Viewliner" cars .......................
.....................The Amtrak agent told me I'd be in the "same" room for both legs of this trip.That means both trains would be viewlinner's???How could this be??
Well he might have meant that you'd have the same room number, that at least is possible.

But I can assure that you will have to change trains and you will be riding a Superliner sleeper into Washington DC and then will be riding Viewliner sleeper for the rest of the trip. :)

just aout everyday 91 has been getting into DC at around 3:30-3:40p, and has to sit for an hour untill 4:35. 89 also does the same thing by getting into DC at 11:50-12:00 noon, and sits untill 12:40

ryan B)

CREW-DORM#2524 said:
just aout everyday 91 has been getting into DC at around 3:30-3:40p, and has to sit for an hour untill 4:35. 89 also does the same thing by getting into DC at 11:50-12:00 noon, and sits untill 12:40

ryan B)
Man, these Silver trains have really been kickin butt over the past few weeks then. When I was on 97(15) we had a few 5-10 minute delays between NYC and WAS as well as from JAX to WPB. Other than that we were ontime or early and had to wait upwards of 10 minutes to depart our stations in the Carolinas and Georgia. We ended up in JAX 20 minutes early!

I don't mind being late into Washington,but it'd be nice to be in Ft. Lauderdale within an hour of schedule.We'll see,I'll be leaving tonite.At least the it's not below 0 out east right now!I'll have acouple weeks in the Keys to relax,no matter what happens! Do we get lunch on #30 right before Wash. if we'er not running late,or even if we are?

Guest said:
I don't mind being late into Washington,but it'd be nice to be in Ft. Lauderdale within an hour of schedule.We'll see,I'll be leaving tonite.At least the it's not below 0 out east right now!I'll have acouple weeks in the Keys to relax,no matter what happens! Do we get lunch on #30 right before Wash. if we'er not running late,or even if we are?
No lunch on #30. I would check out some of the restaurants in Union Station as there are plenty to choose from. You have about a 4 hour wait between trains if everything runs close to on-time, so you'll have plenty of time to eat. Maybe even catch a quick movie at the AMC Movie Theatre.

Just curious, how are you getting from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West?

I'll be renting a car & visting family,than picking wife up at airport,than going to the Keys.I have to get packing, cause I'll be heading for the station in about 6 hours! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back