Grand Central

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Conductor
I was up early to catch train 230 from Albany to New York Penn Station.

This train is part of the Empire Service from Amtrak, which has multiple trains per day across New York. They have not implemented the express train yet, so the 230 took 2 hours 27 minutes. They hope to get this trip down to 2 hours. We were held on approach to Penn Station for a train to clear in front of us. On the way we stopped at Hudson, Rhinecliff, Poughkeepsie, Croton-Harmon and Yonkers. The train had 2 quiet cars with lights out, 2 cars with lights on and also had one non functioning café car. The amfleet one cars were not crowded, my car had power outlets at all seats. There is not much to see on the way to the city, it’s too dark out, we left at 5:10am.

I am going to New York City to see the train show at Grand Central Station.

After the 230 pulled into Penn Station I made my way to the street for the short walk to Grand Central.

“Experience the twinkle of the holidays at the New York Transit Museum's Annual Holiday Train Show on display at the Museum’s Gallery Annex in Grand Central Terminal from November 24, 2008 through January 19, 2009. To delight children of all ages, multiple o-gauge model train sets take a magical journey from Grand Central Terminal to the North Pole with stops at subway and train stations along the way towards the ultimate destination, Santa's workshop! “

“Lionel’s brand new models of Metro-North M7 railroad cars and New York City Transit R27 subway cars, available for purchase in the Museum's Store, will be featured in this years layout, along with a new scale model of the Brooklyn Bridge, an elevated trestle, six new buildings, and an underground subway that is twice as large as last year. Admission to the exhibition is free.”

“A seasonal tradition, the New York Transit Museum's Holiday Train Show is a great way to start your tour of historic Grand Central Terminal. Don’t miss the laser light show in the Main Concourse, great shops and restaurants, and the Transit Museum booth at the Holiday Gift Fair in Vanderbilt Hall! “

Grand Central can be an interesting place to visit. It is the largest train station in the world, has the most platforms. It has 68 shops and 35 places to eat. There is a walking tour that will guide you on your visit to the station. Print out the guide and bring it along with you.

http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/info/walkingtour.cfm

After my visit to the train show, I walked around the city to visit various interesting places and then headed to Penn Station. I watched the big board for my train, #233. There was a group of people complaining about the regional #86 being 45 minutes late. Mine was on time and soon I was on my way up the Hudson. The ride up the river is very scenic and a pleasant time. We arrived in Albany 2 minutes early. The new train station in Albany has become very popular. They are scheduled to add a fourth track, but no work has started yet due to budget problems.

And it's those same NY State budget problems that have killed the express train for now. Amtrak has no intention of running that train without help from NY and NY currently isn't in a position to fund it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back