Hello from Fabulous Las Vegas!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, my name is Adam. My wife and I recently (Sept. 2022) moved to Las Vegas from the Denver area (her home town). I'm from Baltimore originally and ever since I was a kid traveling to Disney World from Baltimore (26hrs in coach...oof) having seen the Sleeper Car rooms...I've always wanted to take a long trip on Amtrak in a sleeper.

That said, I've just booked my first trip this week!
I'll be taking a 7-day journey half-way (or thereabouts) across the country, riding through a handful of states I've never seen! I'll start by taking the bus from LV to LA, and right away...California, a state I've not visited of yet. I won't be there for long, just enough to get some food in the Arts District around Union Station. That evening, I'll head to my first ever sleeper accommodation, a Roomette on Amtrak's Southwest Chief to Chicago. I got lucky and there's a Blackhawks game the night I arrive, so I plan to take recommendations I've received and get some Lou Malnati's pizza for dinner then head to United Center to watch the Hawks/Avs game. The next day I'll head to my second train, the Texas Eagle, back to LA. I can't wait to start this adventure. I'm excited to have a private room for when I want some alone-time, and so see some parts of America you might not normally have the opportunity to see. I'm also excited to meet some cool people and to experience the food I've heard so much about!
Anyway, thanks for reading and any tips you might have. I've watched as many videos as I can find, and am reading through the forums as well...but definitely welcome any further advice!

Cheers!

Welcome, Adam! We look forward to a trip report. Though I'd taken many train trips, both in the U.S. and Europe, the Chief was also my first time in a roomette. And I loved it. Best nights' sleep I've had in years. Yeah, that's not true for everyone, especially those who're sensitive to noise and motion, but it was for me. Plenty of useful advice elsewhere on this forum but here's my oddball tip: whatever your habit at home, shower at night on the train, not in the morning. At least on my train there was a queue in the morning and none at night. And I got grumbly and impatient because precious daylight was ticking away while I waited for others to finish their ablutions. The scenery is the whole point. Happy rails.

Right on, thanks Trollopian! Funny you mention that tip because I am definitely a morning-shower guy. But I agree, in the interest of not missing breakfast OR any scenery...I think I'll heed your advice and shower at night.

Point of etiquette; seems like the shower is right under a Bedroom...how noisy are showers for sleepers? I'm a night-owl anyway, so showering very late might be an option, if it's not a hugely annoying thing for those above.

Point of etiquette; seems like the shower is right under a Bedroom...how noisy are showers for sleepers? I'm a night-owl anyway, so showering very late might be an option, if it's not a hugely annoying thing for those above.

First time I ever heard that question! I'm thinking "not very noisy," because I've never read or heard that complaint, and because I believe the showers are available round-the-clock, and because there's a whole cacophany of whistles and footsteps and engine noise anyway...but, what do other AUers think?

If you normally belt out Italian opera at full voice in the shower you might wanna hush that.

If you normally belt out Italian opera at full voice in the shower you might wanna hush that.
Dangit, I'll do my best to resist the urge! lol I don't even sing in my car alone!

But yeah, that all makes sense. I just know how much I've heard/read that the walls are thin and that sounds can carry well through the sleeper car, just wanted to make sure.

On Saturday, August 19th, my wife and I are taking the Southwest Chief, via roomette, to Las Vegas, New Mexico, to celebrate her birthday. She was born there and moved to California with her family at the tender age of 12 months. (Note: This is NOT the Las Vegas in which you live!) We have enjoyed numerous train trips together and always look forward to it. This trip is no different. I hope yours goes great!

Right on, thanks Trollopian! Funny you mention that tip because I am definitely a morning-shower guy. But I agree, in the interest of not missing breakfast OR any scenery...I think I'll heed your advice and shower at night.

The Shower( Downstairs) is closest to Bedroom E,( actually Bathrooms are below the Bedrooms/ the Shower is on the other side of the Car) but I've never heard it when in E, which is lots of passengers favorite Bedroom.

Last edited:
On Saturday, August 19th, my wife and I are taking the Southwest Chief, via roomette, to Las Vegas, New Mexico, to celebrate her birthday. She was born there and moved to California with her family at the tender age of 12 months. (Note: This is NOT the Las Vegas in which you live!) We have enjoyed numerous train trips together and always look forward to it. This trip is no different. I hope yours goes great!
That's awesome! My Dad lives in Kingman, and I believe he passed through Las Vegas on his way there from Denver when he moved. Have a great trip, and time with the family!

The Shower( Downstairs) is closest to Bedroom E,( actually Bathrooms are below the Bedrooms/ the Shower is on the other side of the Car) but I've never heard it when in E, which is lots of passengers favorite Bedroom.
Ah good to know. I like staying up late, and I'll probably have a little bourbon to pass the time! At least if I'm showering late (no singing, promise) I won't bother anyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! This forum as well as some great content creators on YouTube have made this so exciting and given me a lot to look forward to. Helpful tips, and tricks leave me feeling quite prepared for the adventure.

Back