Hi-Level Coaches

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I noticed looking through some old pictures of Superliner trainsets that occassionally ex-Santa Fe Hi Level coaches were intermixed with the Superliner cars. The Hi-Levels appear shorter than the Superliners. Was there ever a problem hooking the cars together, or were they totally compatible?

As far as the interior of the cars were concerned, were they fairly similar to the Superliners in terms of comfort, etc?

I notice that the Heartland Flyer still uses the Hi-Level coaches....will they be around for much longer?

Thanks!

Steve/NOL

Very similar.I actually rode in the Hi-Levels one or two times back when they were relatively "new" and while the details escape me, they were very very similar to today's superliners.

Keep in mind that there were never any hi-level sleepers, just coaches, diners and lounges. What ever slight differences there were, today's equipment is probably slightly better.

The hi-levels were built in two spurts, once in the mid-late 50's, and again, coaches only, in the 60's. The train for which they were originally built, El Capitan, received the new coaches in 1960's and the old coaches were transferred over to the San Francisco Chief, and, later, the Texas Chief. El Capitan had been a single level train before the mid- late 50's when it was re-equipped as hi-level.It was always an all coach train.

In later years the Super Chief(all pullman) and EL Capitan(all coach) were sometimes run together as one train.

are there any ex-santa fe hi levels still in service?

There are four recently refurbished Hi Level Coaches that operate Amtrak's Heartland Flyer, with service from Fort Worth to Oklahoma City. Each train consists of two Hi Levels with one Superliner Coach/Cafe car.

More information as well as photos can be found at HeartlandFlyer.com

The Pacific Parlour cars are indeed ex-Santa Fe Hi-Level cars. When Amtrak got the cars from Santa Fe, and Superliners came in, the Hi-Levels were modified with higher diaphragms to match up with those of a Superliner. When you walk into a Hi-Level from a Superliner there is a very noticable step down. The Hi-Levels themselves also are shorter, and have fluted siding across most of the car.

Wow, I had no idea they sold 39971. I remember riding in that car several years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back