High Speed Highways

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The laws of physics prevail over all else. Weight is an issue primarily in acceleration and braking. At a steady speed, it is aerodynamics and friction in the drive train and tire deflection at the road (why do you think tires heat up?) There is also the comfort and get in / get out issues, particularly when you get to the age you no longer fold up well. When I rent a car, I tell them I want one I get in, not one I put on.

While all that is true, the ability of the engine to make sufficient power at a low RPM while cruising at high speed is key.

As an Illustration: the 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood was also capable of 27mpg highway (real world, not EPA rating) and it was a V8 and had the aerodynamics of a brick.

It also made 340 lb-ft of torque at 2,100 rpm, more than enough to move a vehicle of its size and shape.

The Neons are actually pretty sturdy vehicles, just with low shelf life. My friend customized his and dropped the frame to make it a racer. It hits 115 without much trouble on the track, which the standard dual-cam motor.

The subject of highway speed limits is interesting. When governments impose these limits, they do so with several considerations. First being safety. The way the road is designed...its geometry, the degree and superelevation of curves, the width of lanes, the clearance of fixed obstacles, the number and length of exit/entrance ramps, etc. Also, the degree of how well the road is maintained. And of course, the level of traffic at different times. Another is the users (drivers). What are the speed limits in proximity that drivers are experience in driving at. Mention was made earlier of how intensive the licensing of drivers is in Germany. They really have to prove their driving ability by entering and driving and exiting the autobahns at high speeds. Not just a ten minute road test consisting of a left turn, a right turn, a parallel park, and a 'U' or 'Y' turn, and then you're good to go, as we do here. I remember back in high school driver's ed, we asked the teacher when we would get on an expressway, and he looked shocked at the question, replying that we would learn that after we got our license! The German's have it pounded into them to keep to the right unless passing, and then to check carefully for faster traffic overtaking them before passing.

I once had the opportunity to drive the autobahn between Wiesbaden and Frankfurt in a Mercedes S320. Although it was only a '6', the big Benz had no trouble acceleration to 230kph. I passed about 70 percent of the traffic, but in turn was passed by Porche's and other faster cars. At that speed, in that superb car on that beautifully built and maintained highway, the ride was smooth as glass, and the car drove as if it was on a guideway. The last time I had driven anywhere near that fast was in 1972 on I-15 between Las Vegas and the Utah line. My 1972 Monte Carlo cruised along at 100mph all the way.

There is an axiom among traffic engineers that the safe speed of any highway is determined by the "85th percentile rule". That is the speed at which in light traffic, 85% of the vehicles are naturally travelling at or below. Any posted speed below that number is artificial, and will be disobeyed wide spread. The lower speed limit is imposed politically or purposely to raise revenue in the way of fines. Modern highways, and especially modern cars are designed to be safer than ever before.

Accident statistics show this to be true as annual traffic related death rates on highways per millions of vehicle miles has dropped signifcantly for years, even as speed limits have risen from those dark "double-nickle" (55 mph national limit) days.

One reason I think that the 55 mph limit became obsolete was the development of the automatic overdrive transmission, which first appeared on some luxury cars (Lincolns and Ford T-birds, as well as on some possibly non-luxury Toyotas) in the late '70s. Prior to that time, overdrive was an option on some stick-shift cars, which are themselves unpopular with many American drivers. With OD, an engine can maintain a higher speed with comparable fuel economy to that of a non-OD car running 50-55 mph.

Given that comparatively few trips are made in remote areas where speed limits are at (or have been proposed to be raised to) 85 mph, it's unlikely that reducing speed limits is going to have much effect on fuel consumption. My guess would be that the lion's share of fuel is used by cars idling at stoplights (or in traffic jams), or moving at 30-40 mph on urban freeways and surface streets, all of which would be unaffected by any effort to reduce speed limits on rural Interstates.

The Republicans are right to be critical of attempting to regulate speed limits in an effort to control pollution. Such efforts are usually a smokescreen for creating speed traps to get people who drive at an otherwise safe speed ticketed, thus enhancing local revenues.

One reason I think that the 55 mph limit became obsolete . . .
My only point of disagreement is the phrase "became obsolete" It was a bad idea from the start, simply a political, "we got to look like we are doing something" law. It was embraced with enthusiasm in the northeast where there are several states that have little or no use for 3 digit mile markers, but everywhere else in the country the main thing it did was develop a widespread disrespect for all traffic regulations.

One reason I think that the 55 mph limit became obsolete . . .
but everywhere else in the country the main thing it did was develop a widespread disrespect for all traffic regulations.
"Ten-four, good buddy"....."Shake the trees, and rake the leaves".....hammer down!"

Remember the whole pop culture the CB Radio craze created, to fight "Smoky the Bear"? And all those "Convoy" movies? :D

Fuzzbusters and CB radios became the craze with the 55 mph speed limit, and became more or less obsolete as the speed limits were either raised or left unenforced.

Back