Hobbyist or Terrorist?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I've never been questioned I always come prepared to be stopped by a poilce officer. I always carry my liscence on me (I guess if you are under 16 you should carry your school ID) as well as a "buisness card" stating my name, website, and e-mail adress. Mostly, however, I photograph trains while I'm traveling Amtrak and only stay within in the station platform area. It also helps having your tickets or ticket stubs on you too. I've never had an Amtrak employee have a problem with me taking pictures, some even encourage it. If the situation requires I will always ask a crew member if they mind I go and take some photos (especially with interior shots).

I've never done photo shoots on the ROW, but to me that will really get the eye of public officials as you stand out as a potential threat.

For me, generally, I usually don't get to the station unless I'm actually traveling somewhere. The main exception is an occasional trip to Short Hills, where I do take a few photos, and never encounter any problems. I've been to New York too just to do a photo shoot but had no problems there either.

I'm going to take a trip to Secaucus in two weeks, but just to be on the safe side, I did apply for a permit to do so, which wasn't that difficult.

Viewliner said:
I'm going to take a trip to Secaucus in two weeks, but just to be on the safe side, I did apply for a permit to do so, which wasn't that difficult.
Did you actually get the permit?

I've done ROW shots a few times and haven't been hassled. I generally try to find spots where there is an open strip of land next to the tracks. While I was in St. Augustine a Police Officer did stop to let me know that FEC enforces trespassing, but the spot I was at was fine. Usually when you're in the middle of nowhere you're not likely to get hassled, just stay close to Grade Crossings or a public Road and you're fine.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
Did you actually get the permit?
Yes, but thanks to bureaucracy, I've gotta contact Amtrak for permission to photograph trains on the NEC Level (according to NJ Transit). So at least I've managed to get permission for Secaucus. :D :p B)

I see on another web board that one of the NE transit authorites is threatening to arrest anyone taking pictures of their trains. They say it doesn't matter if you are on public property, private property, in your car or on the moon - it's illegal to photograph. And their hired goons are rounding up and hassling people. What with Amtrak hiring a former Homeland Security type to run their security operations, we'd better take all the photos we want asap. It's all part of this gulag-America we are building. Maybe we should outlaw carmeras next, Comrade?

Taking pictures should never be a problem, but at times and in certain areas it is (and it is ashame it is that way in some cases). And it depends on who has their eyes on you. So stay off railroad property period! If you must be there most of all try to there for the business purpose! If you are there for enjoyment, then be in a public area, or a private area made public such as a station, etc. It is best to make your presence known to the authority figure who is manning that area if possible. If you are on other private property, then respect that property owner. If asked to leave, then do so immediately. Simply put, find a better spot! Railroads have traditionally been harsh on trespassers due to juries ordering them to pay out settlements for people who were hurt while trespassing on railroad property. If you are on the property without a business purpose, then you are looked at as a liability. Railroads tend not to be very tolerant of that.

I have found, though, if you do your watching at a public place, grade crossing, or a station, you will likely have very little problems. Stay visible, stay off the right away, and keep moving by not loitering around. Many cities have loitering laws on the books, and you could wind up in trouble in that respect. I usually have very little problems. I stay visible or make myself know, and I stay out of sensitive areas. And if I am asked to leave I do immediately!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back