Houston TX crew base closing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Houston engineer crew base for Amtrak will be closing engineers will run from NOL to Beumont TX and San Antonio engineers will run from Beumont to San Antonio TX.Not sure on if the Conductors will run to Beumont or Houston yet.

Are they going to start running with a Fireman on either run? If not that sucks because it's going to displace people, and I always hate seeing people be forced to relocate cross country, it's bad enough the base is closing, much less if their jobs aren't being transferred.

battalion51 said:
Are they going to start running with a Fireman on either run? If not that sucks because it's going to displace people, and I always hate seeing people be forced to relocate cross country, it's bad enough the base is closing, much less if their jobs aren't being transferred.
Houston only has 3 engineers they will go back to NOL where most of them worked before they opened Houston.Yes they will have 2 engineers in the cab because of the run time plus TWC control from NOL to Iowa JCT 12 miles east of Lake Charles LA.This is what i found out today things can change with running 2 in the engine they have been known to use the conductor in the head end to copy track warrents.

Well unless they're getting the track warrant while waiting for another train to pass they pretty much are forced to since you'd have to stop the train to copy the warrant otherwise. It's always been my opinion that there should be 2 men in the cab at all times no matter what the circumstance (unless one is flagging the crossing or retrieving a cup of coffee). But that's just my opinion.

battalion51 said:
It's always been my opinion that there should be 2 men in the cab at all times no matter what the circumstance (unless one is flagging the crossing or retrieving a cup of coffee). But that's just my opinion.
I can't agree with that statement anymore than I already do!!!! I feel the same way regarding conductors and on board staff as well! OBS.....

Oops...........fogot to add my ID to the above post!! OBS....

I will say this though, in my mind it doesn't necessarily have to be an Engineer either. At one point over the summer they had some crewing issues and had to send an Engineer by himself to WTH with 98. Well with all the CSO's (Conditional Stop Orders) it isn't safe for a solo Engineer to be calling all those foremen while he tries to keep the train rolling (same as copying a track warrant). So they called an extra Conductor in to ride on the head end with the Engineer to call the Foremen and signals (they sent another Conductor since the MIA Engineer extra board was toast). I always find myself a bit unnerved when there's only one Engineer up front (no matter how good he is).

battalion51 said:
Well with all the CSO's (Conditional Stop Orders) it isn't safe for a solo Engineer to be calling all those foremen while he tries to keep the train rolling (same as copying a track warrant).

I always find myself a bit unnerved when there's only one Engineer up front (no matter how good he is).
In the name of safety, couldn't have said it any better!

As far as when there is only one engineer, I don't really feel unnerved per se, but I believe there is safety in numbers, and would I rather have a second set of eyes up at all times that train is in operation. OBS...

Back