I challenge everyone here

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrak_flyer

Train Attendant
Amtrak is facing its toughest budget battle ever. Between President Bush's plan to dismantle the system, the lowball budget being proposed in congress, and the new Amtrak board members appointed by Bush (who theoretically could go over Gunn's head and cancel Long Distance routes; Remember Mineta's offer to the board last year?) Amtrak needs your help NOW!

I am challenging each and every one of you to have 10 of your friends call or email their Senators, Representatives, and Mr. Bush. Have them simply state they want Amtrak to maintain nationwide service. Everyone I've approached on this subject has been more then happy to help out. To make it easy for them get the email address's and phone numbers in advance. Tell them about www.narprail.org or www.saveamtrak.org which explain the situation. Get people excited about trains!

I'm an airline pilot by trade, but I ride long distance trains every 6 weeks or so. Comparing the two modes of transporation is like apples and oranges. We need both modes now more then ever. Amtrak's having one of its best years ever, I saw first hand experience of that this past week when I road the Coast Starlight (sold out both ways LA-SF). Dont let your friends buy the line people dont ride Amtrak, people do. Reform is not the answer, full funding is!

Thanks for your help, let me know how this goes!

[email protected] or Whitehouse comment line (202) 456-1111

[email protected]

your senators???

your representative???

For senators www.senate.gov click on your state

Representatives www.house.gov type in your Zip code

Another good place for up to minute news is www.narprail.org click on "hotline"

Thanks!

At this point since time is critical phone calls are the best. Both the senate and House will be debating starting as early as sept 4th. Amtrak as of now is only funded til september 30, 2003. Another point to consider there is no 6 month discontinuance notice required if Amtrak is forced into BK.

Call up and ask to leave a comment. All you need to say is you want Amtrak to maintain nationwide service, and your upset at the lack of proper Amtrak funding. Easy as cake!

PS..you can do all three also!

gswager said:
Which of the methods- letter, phone or e-mail are the most effective?
Having experience in ths area I would say right now phone calls, this is because constituant mail generally is answered by interns and for the most part (unless the rep is a freshman) never crosses the rep's desk. Senators have a far larger constituancy and have dedicated staffers to answer their mail. What happens with phone calls is that the staff will tally the for and against on a particular issue and report their findings to their boss.

Keep those calls coming today to your representatives..tomorrow may be a make or break day. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back