I'm being published

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I was contacted last week by the folks at DK Publishing in England for the rights to reproduce two of my images in their Eyewitness Guide to Orlando. I'm pretty sure it pays 65 pounds per picture (which works out to $118.975 per picture), or it might be for the two, I'm waiting for a reply from the folks at DK. But if you're curious as to which pictures they'll be using they are these two:

Amtrak 843 with Amtrak 838 elephant style waiting to take P052 to Lorton

Amtrak%20P-40%20Locomotive%20843-SFA.jpg

Amtrak 161 arrives in Winter Park with P091

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%20161.jpg

As for the road crossing it's ironic that the crossing is in such poor condition since the next intersection is brick paved Park Ave. Bout the best thing I can say for the crossing condition is that Track Speed is 25 MPH through there and the speed limit for cars is only 25 or 35 I think. You can also sse that they've done some patch work there (just underneath the Engine's plow). What's also funny about that picture is all the black smoke pouring out of the engine (bad fuel injector) doesn't exactly give the environmentally friendly image. I told DK about my website and am hoping they'll choose a different shot with a similar angle that doesn't have black smoke pouring out of the engine.

Nice shots, definitley worthy of being published. It is ironic that they want a picture of Amtrak and the Orlando area, not at their most appealing perspective.

Bear in mind they've only seen my 37 or so pictures that are on Railpictures.net, I have a library of over 800 pictures on my website, many of which they haven't seen.

battalion51 said:
Bear in mind they've only seen my 37 or so pictures that are on Railpictures.net, I have a library of over 800 pictures on my website, many of which they haven't seen.
Yeah, hopefully they will choose a picture that fits Amtrakand the Area better. The first shot is a much better choice. Funny thing is the winterpark area overall is one of the nicest, although road maitnece lacks all over the state. If I remember correct, isnt csx responsible for the crossing maitence. If the railraod is, it would explain why FEC's are always in good condition. ;)

Actually I can understand why they like the second picture. Yes you are right, from an environmental perspective, it's not a great shot.

However, all that smoke to the average person indicates motion and therefore, how hard the engine must be working to pull that train. We may know better, but any non-railfan will probably be impressed. Besides, not withstanding the smoke issue, it's still an impressive shot even to me an avid railfan. :)

Well if you get any engine in a yard situation you can make em smoke if you know how to get the Turbochargers to kick in right. One of my favorite shots is 514 pourin out smoke on a rainy March morning in Sanford.

Yeah, I'm happy to hear you've gotten a few things published. I've had a few occasions where some of my NJT stuff has been used. In fact, this reminded me to check my email, I've got another inquiry.

I'll be able to update my site starting next week, I'm in the middle of Finals right now. :(

One possibilty for the large amount of smoke is that with current two engine consists, Amtrak is using the first engine for traction without HEP. This means the generator is not being used for 480 power. reducing the load on the moter and lowering fuel cunsumption. :D

The second engine is set up as the "trailing car," provides no traction

but the HEP is providing the consist with 480 power. The HEP is running in "auxillary mode," which allows the motor to run at a power setting a few notches above idle, yet the rpm's are lower than in the "lead mode".

So, one engine is pulling the whole consist and the smoke shows the amount of" load" being applied for traction power. :D

Miami Joe

Joe, there was only one pony on that train. :blink: The shot was taken at the end of November, Thanksgiving weekend as a matter of fact. The engine definitely was a sick puppy because we were getting crappy load times that day, but we did maintain 480 the whole time.

Also, as far as I know, most Engineers will switch the engines to run HEP off the trailer, but also have the trailer providing traction. I've noticed significantly better load times since we've gone to the Super Train set up, and I can't imagine the acceleration we're getting is because one engine is doing all the work. Now this is just as far as I know, I haven't spoken to any of the Engineers down here working the Super Train since it's gone into effect.

battalion51 said:
The engine definitely was a sick puppy because we were getting crappy load times that day, but we did maintain 480 the whole time.
Well personally, I'd blame the passengers and the conductors, if your load times were too long. :lol: :D :p Not the engine. :)

Maybe a few high level plats would help too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back