Intro

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetalumaLoco

Conductor
Hi all, new member from Petaluma Calif. My wife and I are planning a trip from MTZ Martinez Ca to NHV New Haven Ct in October so I've been lurking about soaking up info, this is a great forum.

My experience on trains is that I used to go to sleep listening to the SP trains in Richmond Ca until we moved when I was about 6. I still remember the last steam locos that ran, including some cab forwards. When I was little I nailed my older brother with one of those sharp edged coffee cans above one eye, blood everywhere, so I ran away from home. Where would a 5 year old go? Why, right on out the back fence and up on the tracks. I stood in the middle of mainline rails waiting for the next fast freight out of town. Fortunately my oldest brother spotted me and came to the rescue.

I didn't actually ride a train until about 20 years ago on a 1 day run down San Joaquin Valley. 10 years ago we did a 3 week rail tour thru France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy, then to southern France all on ICE trains then back to Paris on the TGV. That train was so smooth it was hard to believe we were doing 180!

I have a few questions but will save that for the proper forum.

Dennis

Hi all, new member from Petaluma Calif. My wife and I are planning a trip from MTZ Martinez Ca to NHV New Haven Ct in October so I've been lurking about soaking up info, this is a great forum.
My experience on trains is that I used to go to sleep listening to the SP trains in Richmond Ca until we moved when I was about 6. I still remember the last steam locos that ran, including some cab forwards. When I was little I nailed my older brother with one of those sharp edged coffee cans above one eye, blood everywhere, so I ran away from home. Where would a 5 year old go? Why, right on out the back fence and up on the tracks. I stood in the middle of mainline rails waiting for the next fast freight out of town. Fortunately my oldest brother spotted me and came to the rescue.

I didn't actually ride a train until about 20 years ago on a 1 day run down San Joaquin Valley. 10 years ago we did a 3 week rail tour thru France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy, then to southern France all on ICE trains then back to Paris on the TGV. That train was so smooth it was hard to believe we were doing 180!

Dennis
Welcome!

My experience on trains is that I used to go to sleep listening to the SP trains in Richmond Ca

Dennis
They had trains then? Wow the Rails HAVE been aroun a while!!!

:eek: :p

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS This is a great forum, I hope. Otherwise I'm gonna look & act like a complete idiot on my first train trip in Sept!

:unsure: :lol:

My experience on trains is that I used to go to sleep listening to the SP trains in Richmond Ca

Dennis
They had trains then? Wow the Rails HAVE been aroun a while!!!

:eek: :p

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS This is a great forum, I hope. Otherwise I'm gonna look & act like a complete idiot on my first train trip in Sept!

:unsure: :lol:
Yes, but at least they were oil burners, not wood or coal!

BTW I plan on acting like a complete idiot, I'm over 55 and entitled! :blink:

BTW I plan on acting like a complete idiot, I'm over 55 and entitled! :blink:
Aloha and Welcome

So am I, and I have a daughter who understands and is proud her father is a foamer :) and is encouraging the granddaughter to become one also. Thomas and a BSNF engineer that waived, helped start her interest at about 4. Her teachers in Kindergarten class were amazed, she new numbers over a hundred, 2 years later, lets hope she has now included 117 in those counts.

Latest posts

Back