Iran and Afghanistan rail link

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iran actually runs some remarkably good daytime and sleeper service, arguably better than what we have here. Though it is more European pattern, Couchettes and/or lower class open berth sleepers (e.g. Chinese Hard Class, or Indian 3 Tier Sleeper) like found almost everywhere outside North America where there is passenger rail with overnight service.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding the article, and the wording is a bit ambiguous, but it reads to me as if this is a project and not a completed rail link.

Correction. Googling of other sources confirms that the line is indeed built.

Another point. I have often noticed that there is a very long thin sliver of land that belongs to Afghanistan that stretches between Tajikistan and Pakistan and reaches all the way to the Chinese border.

What's the story with that? It almost looks like the type of border that somebody carved out especially to create a road or rail link.

Another point. I have often noticed that there is a very long thin sliver of land that belongs to Afghanistan that stretches between Tajikistan and Pakistan and reaches all the way to the Chinese border.

What's the story with that? It almost looks like the type of border that somebody carved out especially to create a road or rail link.
I've read that the borders were drawn that way to act as a buffer of sorts between the British and Russian empires. Perhaps others know more?

I've read that the borders were drawn that way to act as a buffer of sorts between the British and Russian empires. Perhaps others know more?
The Wakhan Corridor (that sliver of land separating the Russian empire Stans from Afghanistan) was indeed a cartographic creation with the usual disregard for any consideration other than the needs of the British and Russian Empire to not have a common border. Indeed, all of Afghanistan really is a buffer state stitched together using parts of territories traditionally occupied by at least four different ethnic groups, with the Hindu Kush separating the Pashtuns from the Northern tribes. And of course the British found it convenient to split the Pashtun territory down the middle by the Durand Line - the current Afghanistan - Pakistan border, which the Pashtuns do not particularly recognize as anything. It is another of the unholy messes left behind by the 19th Century Imperial Age.

But all that is getting far afield from the Iran - Afghanistan Railway.

But all that is getting far afield from the Iran - Afghanistan Railway.
The history of railroads is inexorably mixed with politics and nation building. Especially but not exclusively in the colonial context. In the past but also today. Ambitions for a trans-Asian railway are to be understood in the light of China wishing to grow its sphere of influence and build a bridge to Europe.

The history of railroads is inexorably mixed with politics and nation building. Especially but not exclusively in the colonial context. In the past but also today. Ambitions for a trans-Asian railway are to be understood in the light of China wishing to grow its sphere of influence and build a bridge to Europe.
The point is - Wakhan Corridor never had anything to do with any railroad building in its original conception. I understood your original comment to be in the context of the possible relevance of the Wakhan Corridor to the current Iran - Afghanistan Railway.

Actually the reason that the current line proposed goes through Tadjikistan to China is because any line through the Wakhan Corridor would be spectacularly expensive to build and at best will be a vanity project for Afghanistan if they can find money in their vast (not!) coffers, or by hocking themselves thoroughly to China by becoming Satrap, something that Afghans have repeatedly proved to be not too good at. Again straying far off the subject of the thread.

Afghanistan also has a century of history of drawing random Railway Plans on the map and let it stand until some draws the next one, of course with nothing ever built. The Iran - Afghanistan - Tadjikistan line is a departure from that, and interestingly it follows none of Afghanistan's fantasy maps.

Incidentally, there was another railroad that was built in Afghanistan and still exists. It is a Russian Broad Gauge Line built from the Friendship Bridge to the outskirts of Mazar-e-Sharif in the North. It was built during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. There was also an active proposal for a while to build another Russian BG line from the North to Herat. I have not kept track of whatever happened to that.

The Iran - Afghanistan line is of course, Standard Gauge.

There is a long standing plan to build an Indian BG Line from Quetta in Pakistan through the Spin Boldak border crossing to Kandahar too.

Last edited:
Back