Istook supresses Republican Amtrak support

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the abstract, I wonder if those congressional reps could talk to enough of their counterparts in the Senate to get the Senators to strip funding out of the next Senate appropriations bill for some things in that guy's district, and suggest to him that if he wants to act like the south end of a northbound horse, they'd treat his disxtrict accordingly. That's inexcusable conduct.

Ah the wrath of the power hungry politician. Stripping projects because of your beleifs is absurd, for any issue. He may as well say, since you believe in "x" religion, I'm am not going to work with you. I would feel the same way, if I were Mr. Hughs.

Anyone from Oklahoma in this forum? You should write him. But be careful, Istook might send you a threat, simply because you support Amtrak. :angry:

Here are some links to other articles off Istooks site:

Give drivers better roads for their money

Leaders Agree They Can Do More, For Less Money

Don't forget that Oklahoma has the "Heartland Flyer," which runs from Oklahoma City to Fort Worth and connects to/from the Texas Eagle. Istook should be relieved to have the "Flyer" running after all those years after the discontinuance of the "Lone Star" (previously Amtrak's and Santa Fe's "Texas Chief").

Hopefully, those Republicans will remain resolute in their support for Amtrak.

I have heard through several sources that Istook's leadership positions are in serious jeopardy because of the horrible trick he pulled on his pro-Amtrak colleagues. I hope he gets the boot! On a similar note, we should all breathe a sign of relief that Senator John McCain is no longer a committee chair. Having Senator Cochran (R-MS) in a high committee position may truly benefit Amtrak. I encourage everyone reading this to write Senator Cochran an encouraging letter. Senators are much more willing to communicate with people outside their home states than members of the House.

lepearso said:
On a similar note, we should all breathe a sign of relief that Senator John McCain is no longer a committee chair.  Having Senator Cochran (R-MS) in a high committee position may truly benefit Amtrak.
John McCain will still hold a committee chairmanship, but not in an area that involves Amtrak.

Senator McCain (R-Ariz.), presently chairman of the Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee, will become chairman of the Indian Affairs Committee. He is being replaced as Chairman of the Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee by Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). In turn, Stevens is being replaced as chairman of the Appropriations Committee by Thad Cochran (R-Miss.).

Back