Kentucky Cardinal Ridership

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the ridership on the Kentucky Cardinal like as of late? I will be riding from Lafayette to Louisville and return at the end of the month and was wondering what to expect on-board. I've heard stories of when the train ran with only one or two passengers south of Indy and was wondering if that still held true. I'll be riding on the weekend when the train runs by itself, seperate from the "real" Cardinal. Thanks for the help!

As to being the only passenger, I have no personal experience with K-card, but from what I hear and read, I would not be too surprised.

But I have been the only passenger on other trains

at least twice in my life, so it can be done, and it is ok.

railohio said:
What's the ridership on the Kentucky Cardinal like as of late? I will be riding from Lafayette to Louisville and return at the end of the month and was wondering what to expect on-board. I've heard stories of when the train ran with only one or two passengers south of Indy and was wondering if that still held true. I'll be riding on the weekend when the train runs by itself, seperate from the "real" Cardinal. Thanks for the help!
This train is nearly sold out, in both directions, for every day up until it's final run in July. :blink:

Last run is scheduled for July 6th, keep in mind however that's the end of service to Louisville. It however is not the end of service to Indianapolis from Chicago.

I rode from Jeffersonville, IN, to Chicago on 6/2 and back on 6/6/03. There were about 18 people going north and about 15 coming back. The trip was a disaster as they told us 1 hour from Indy going north that the train had to return to Louisville because they didn't have a crew. We spend 4 1/2 hours on wooden benches in Indy waiting for a bus. The ticket agent wouldn't do anything about getting us a hotel. She said to call customer service. When I did, they were closed. Then there were 5 hours on the bus on I-65. Not my idea of a great RAIL trip.

Coming back we were on a commuter coach, which has about as much room as an airline or Greyhound. I don’t think the restrooms had been cleaned yet this month. Hope you have a better trip then ours, our first on Amtrak and probably our last.

AlanB said:
Last run is scheduled for July 6th, keep in mind however that's the end of service to Louisville.  It however is not the end of service to Indianapolis from Chicago.
So it will keep running between Indianapolis to Chicago. I wonder what the new name will be? It can't stay the Kentucky Cardinal. Amtrak should have a "Name That Train!" contest or a poll on four names, or Amtrak may have alrealy picked the name, we will just hafe to wait and see! :)

Dave, I'm sorry to hear that your first Amtrak experience was not a good one. The agent in Indinapolis should have done something to make your incovienence a little more inconvienent. The car you experienced on the return trip was a Horizon coach, which is as you said basically a commuter car, and not desireable. I think that you had a bad experience, but if you do try Amtrak again on one of its mainstream long distance routes (such as the Cardinal) I think you may have a different opinion.

amtrakadirondack said:
AlanB said:
Last run is scheduled for July 6th, keep in mind however that's the end of service to Louisville.  It however is not the end of service to Indianapolis from Chicago.
So it will keep running between Indianapolis to Chicago. I wonder what the new name will be? It can't stay the Kentucky Cardinal. Amtrak should have a "Name That Train!" contest or a poll on four names, or Amtrak may have alrealy picked the name, we will just hafe to wait and see! :)
It sounds similar to a contest that the Atlantic Coast Line had, which gave the name "Champion" to some of their Florida trains, a name which survived into the Amtrak era.

amtrakadirondack said:
So it will keep running between Indianapolis to Chicago.
That is correct, the train will continue to run from Chicago to Indianapolis on a daily basis. I haven't heard what if anything Amtrak plans to call the shortened Kentucky Cardinal. :unsure:

Dave said:
I rode from Jeffersonville, IN, to Chicago on 6/2 and back on 6/6/03..... The trip was a disaster as they told us 1 hour from Indy going north that the train had to return to Louisville because they didn't have a crew.
Son of a.... I was trackside that day at the blades south of Lafayette and Amtrak never showed up. I heard over the radio some train was annuled for lack of a crew, but now I know for sure that it was Amtrak. Small world, eh?

battalion51 said:
The agent in Indinapolis should have done something ... to make your incovienence a little more inconvienent.
your inconvenience a little more inconvenient, eh? :lol:

I meant a little less. Although they have shown they're good at making them more incovienent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back