Keystone Corridor Specifics

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet Fan

Service Attendant
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me with some information.

Specifically about the Keystone Corridor.

I design routes for the Trainz Railroad Simulator and just finished and released the New York Region Route for Trainz. It includes NY Penn, West Side Connector, etc (See links below for info)

In any event, I want to build the Keystone Corridor from Harrisburg east to Lancaster, Philly, not sure yet?? This is where my questions start.

What is the route mileage between Harrisburg and Philly? I have a feeling it’s over 150 miles, so I’m not sure if the simulator can handle that latitude/longitude at this time, not to mention the amount of time needed to build this.

What are the speeds, slow work areas, significant stations along the route?

Any particular landmarks that I should note in the simulated route? For instance, if there is a covered bridge or such, one can be built for the game and included in the route.

And lastly, any general information or helpful hints, facts, trivia about the Keystone Corridor would be of great asset.

Thanks in advance

New York Routes Released

Follow up screenshots

Thank you Bill.

I wasn't aware that mileage was available in the timetables.

Anyone else have some useful info that can help me with my project.

Thanks in advance.

Amfleet Fan,

It's been a while since I took my last ride on a Keystone train. Off the top of my head, I can't say as I recall any covered bridges along the ROW, but that's not saying they aren't there.

I do recall a few old style concrete arch bridges over the mainline. From what I recall it is a 4-track mainline all the way, and of course it is electrified, even though it's rare to see an electric engine in Harrisburg. They are currently working to restore and replace the catenary with the idea that all trains will once again run with an electric motor.

I can't really speak to slow orders, although I'm sure that there are some. In fact last I heard there was a slow order for one of those aforementioned arch bridges that was in danger of collapse. I think that speeds along this line by and large right now are limited to 90 MPH, due to track conditions.

However along with the cat work, Amtrak and the State of Pennsylvania are currently working on the tracks so that speeds can once again be increased.

Sorry that I can't be of more help, but like I said it's been a while. :)

Boy, Alan B! It sureley must have been quite a long time since you rode the Keystone route. It hasn't seen a four-track ROW west of Paoli since the late 1950's! The current Amtrak Keystone route is two main tracks all the way from Paoli to Harrisburg. Four tracks are still in place (and in use) between Overbrook and Paoli though...

Notable stations (meaning old and attractive architecture) include Philadlphia (30th Street), Overbrook, Strafford, Wayne, Haverford, Coatesville, Lancaster and Harrisburg -- though this list is incomplete and not all stations listed are served by Amtrak.

Notable other structures include the flyover at 52nd street, stone viaducts at Coatesville and Lancaster and the ancient clock tower at Gap (visible from the train).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back