Kissimmee to New York December 2023

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelkfla

Engineer
On board 98 from Kissimmee to New York Penn, to ride the NY Transit Museum’s Holiday Nostalgia Train, and see the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular at radio City Music Hall. 98 was 10 minutes late at Kissimmee, but back on time by Deland. We arrived at Jacksonville 15 minutes early.

I'm in in the H-room on the Viewliner 2 sleeper. As usual, there’s an issue. The electric door doesn't work most of the time. Luis, the sleeping car attendant, said to just turn it off and work it manually. Unfortunately, when I got back from lunch, I couldn't get it open. There's really nothing to grab onto on the outside, just a little indent. Luis was able to manhandle it open.

I had the chili baked potato with extra chili for lunch. It was good, but when I got halfway through, I discovered that the plate was cracked. Yech!
I had the brownie for dessert. It was served out of the wrapper, warmed on a plate, but no whipped cream. It tasted good, but the melted fudge bits made a mess.

After lingering over a cup of coffee for a while, the server asked me and a person at another table to please move to the cafe as the diner was only for dining. No more first class lounge.

I noticed an older gentleman in a gray suit passing through the diner and stopping to speak on his phone. I saw him again on his phone on the platform at Jacksonville. I asked my SCA who he was, and he said he is and OBS manager. Happy to see this.

Had the same issues with the door on my Viewliner trip in the H sleeper. (Last min upgrade)

Does your vent on the bottom of door give you a great view of the legs of the people walking past? When sitting on the window side it did for me. Or is there a filter or screen covering those louver vents?

No nitpicking on the warmed brownie, yes it could be present better, but it was warm.

That was the annoying part, additional the lack of privacy. Small kids been kids looking in your compartment.

Not a big fan of the room design, but I don’t normally get or need this space.

Back