L.E.D. signals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
On my trip on the EB last week R/T from CHI to MSP I seen the new style LED signals. There was a few dwarf signals equiped with them north of union station. I was very impressed! They seem to display a very crisp and clear light. This must be a dream come true for signal maintainers, since LED's will never burn out, compared to a few thousand hours of an incondescent lamp. It looks like Amtrak is converting some of there railroad crossing signal lamps to the new LED style replacements or conversions. I seen a handfull of crossings equipped with them on the Amtrak owned line from Kalamazoo,MI to Portage, IN.

LED's do burn out eventually but they last thousands of hours longer then light bulbs. They also use about a quarter of the electricity that light bulbs do so they greatly reduce electrical costs. That's why you see so many cities switching their traffic lights to LED's.

whs1325 said:
LED's do burn out eventually but they last thousands of hours longer then light bulbs. They also use about a quarter of the electricity that light bulbs do so they greatly reduce electrical costs. That's why you see so many cities switching their traffic lights to LED's.
And also Police and Fire cars and trucks are going to LED lightbars there realy produce a strong light bright light. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back