Late boarding times and bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skippy

I departed Chicago on The Three Rivers a few months ago. The departure time was (and still is for The Three Rivers, I believe) 10:30 PM. I had a standard bedroom (Viewliner) and when I boarded and got to my room, I found that the attendant had already made up the bed. While I wasn't planning on staying up all night, I also wasn't planning on going to bed for at least an hour after we departed Chicago.

Is it standard procedure for Amtrak to have rooms already made up for sleeping for late boarding passengers, whether it be at the train's originating station or anywhere along the line?

I can understand this if you're boarding somewhere at 2:00 AM and even then I might not be ready to immediately climb into bed. However, I didn't think 10:30 PM was such a late boarding time that it would have been assumed I was ready to have my bed made up. I know I could have asked the attendant to put the bed back up into daytime configuration but I didn't want to rock the boat (or the train) even before we left Chicago.

They usually put the bed down about 9 pm. Or when you request. Since noone is around I guess they assume to put the bed down anyway. Since old folks like to go to bed early, and most people who take sleepers are elderly.

Chris

saxman66 said:
Since old folks like to go to bed early, and most people who take sleepers are elderly.
I'm wouldn't agree with that statement but I suppose it depends on your definition of "elderly". I'm in my early 40s (very elderly to some, I know). I wasn't ready to go bed at 10:30 PM. I certainly wouldn't be ready at 9:00 PM.

Well in the case of the Three Rivers departing at 10:30 pm it makes much more sense to have all the beds put down prior to departure. It would probably take an attendent at least an hour to put down and make all beds in a full sleeping car. Since you basically have to get up and move out of the room or go somewhere while he or she is doing this, this could cause an excessive amount of noise between everyone moving about the train or sleeping car plus the added noise of beds slaming down into place keeping other passengers up at a time approaching midnight.

When I ride the Capitol limited out of Toledo, our bed is always made up when we climb aboard around midnight. However we usually stay up and have some drinks and talk. In a standard room we usually just sit with our backs against each wall and cross our legs on the lower bed. It isn't too uncomfortable and works pretty well.

In recent trips I always tell the attendent NOT to make our bed when we go to diner. Most attendents will do this automatically if you don't say anything otherwise. I will just tell the attendent that I like to stay up late and would like the seats up. I will also tell him that if I am ready for bed I will try to find him to do the job. But I also make it clear that I do know how to make the beds myself and don't mind at all to do the job myself if he is sleeping. They are always happy to hear me say that. That's because he knows I won't me knocking on his door at 2:30 in the morning to ask him to make my bed.

Couple of questions as my wife and I will be on the EB later this year.

Can you ask for a specific bed makeup time (as long as it is reasonable)?

Do the rooms have doors that lock and need a key to open from the outside, i.e., do they give you a key to lock the room when you go to a meal or the lounge car, etc?

Thanks!!!

MrFSS said:
Do the rooms have doors that lock and need a key to open from the outside, i.e., do they give you a key to lock the room when you go to a meal or the lounge car, etc?
The doors are lockable from the inside only. When you leave your room, simply pull the curtains and doors shut. It is a rule of thumb that you shouldn't leave any valuables sitting around your room, but theft is not an issue and the sleeping cars are generally safe. :)

The doors do not lock but never fear, there is very little stealing,almost unheard of.

As to asking for a specific time for them to make up the bed, I would just ask them to do so close to the time. They do not seem to keep a "log" of going to bed times---their jobs are not programmed for that, so far as I can tell ---they DO make a list of wake-up call times that people want. That is a basic aprt of their job.

Keep in mind, about making up the bed, the train might be in a station or the attendant might be otherwise occupied at time you want the beds made up. If you want them made up at 10 p.m. and you are in a station from 9:50 to 10:15, then that would not work since they have to guard the doors, help people on and off, etc.

I have had a few attendants ask me what time I'd like my bed made up, but most attendants will just tell you to push the call button when you're about ready to head bed.

My suggestion would simply ask the attendant to make up your room for an hour or so and then come back to put the beds down again. Since there's no meal service leaving Chicago then most passengers probably go right to bed. If the rooms weren't made up into night time configuration upon leaving Chicago then the attendant would be rushing trying to make up beds in 15 rooms all at once.

AlanB said:
I have had a few attendants ask me what time I'd like my bed made up, but most attendants will just tell you to push the call button when you're about ready to head bed.
I've also had some attendants who were nowhere to be found when I pushed the call button. This was not at an ungodly hour, either. Making up my own bed is not a problem for me. It also saves money by cutting back (although not eliminating altogether) the attendant's tip.

Skippy said:
AlanB said:
I've also had some attendants who were nowhere to be found when I pushed the call button. This was not at an ungodly hour, either. Making up my own bed is not a problem for me. It also saves money by cutting back (although not eliminating altogether) the attendant's tip.
Also remember that attendants on the Three Rivers operate totally different to other overnight trains. For one they work on a rotation between the Sleeper, Lounge, and Coaches. Second, the crews change out at Pittsburgh, so unless you are detraining in Pittsburgh then your attendant will not expect a tip.

Actually, the slacking attendant was on the California Zephyr. I've ridden The Three Rivers multiple times and have always had wonderful attendants. The whole system could learn a thing or two from these people. I wish I could remember their names.

Skippy said:
Actually, the slacking attendant was on the California Zephyr. I've ridden The Three Rivers multiple times and have always had wonderful attendants. The whole system could learn a thing or two from these people. I wish I could remember their names.
The Auto Train operates in similar fashion as the Three Rivers except on the Auto Train the OBS crews don't swich out mid trip. However, both trains OBS crews operate in a rotation. Remember working in the diner is twice as hard as working in the coaches so rotating the tasks probably reduces stress and adds variety to the work enviroment. Thus you get many positive and hard working crew members. I've always thought that this would be a great system of OBS operations to do on all long distance trains as it would get rid of many lazy employees. You will run into some coach or sleeper attendants that you'd never see waiting in the dining car or the lounge car. The rotation is also a train by train basis and employees would have to agree to it in their contract.

Skippy said:
I departed Chicago on The Three Rivers a few months ago. The departure time was (and still is for The Three Rivers, I believe) 10:30 PM. I had a standard bedroom (Viewliner) and when I boarded and got to my room, I found that the attendant had already made up the bed. While I wasn't planning on staying up all night, I also wasn't planning on going to bed for at least an hour after we departed Chicago.
Is it standard procedure for Amtrak to have rooms already made up for sleeping for late boarding passengers, whether it be at the train's originating station or anywhere along the line?

I can understand this if you're boarding somewhere at 2:00 AM and even then I might not be ready to immediately climb into bed. However, I didn't think 10:30 PM was such a late boarding time that it would have been assumed I was ready to have my bed made up. I know I could have asked the attendant to put the bed back up into daytime configuration but I didn't want to rock the boat (or the train) even before we left Chicago.
Our OBS Service manual states "Beds should be made in advance for passengers who will be boarding after 22:00:00"

Most attendants usually follow this rule religiously, however, the word "should" allows the attendant to use his/her own judgment. I usually waited for the passenger to board the train and get settled before I put their bed down. This way I am allowed to cover all the information (such as meal times, accomodations, wake up calls, etc.) I need to with that passenger before they retire for the night. I have encountered passengers before, who didn't want the bed down at all, they just wanted to sit up and sleep in the seat! So putting the bed down in advance would have been a waste of time in that situation. I am one of those attendants who make myself available at all hours, however, being I do not usually sleep very well on the train. In other words I hardly ever take my down time, it is just easier to snooze between the stops. I tend to know more of what is going on with my car in that respect. I am able to greet all of my passengers and see them off the train at their appropriate stops this way, too. But it does get a little tiresome, though.

Amtrak OBS employee--you have probably told us this 100 times but tell us one more time, which routes do you serve? Any of us might be one of your passengers some day.

It is good to get the perspective of employees such as yourself and some others who have been on here from time to time. I sometimes wander what you guys are REALLY thinking about us passengers!!

Bill Haithcoat said:
Amtrak OBS employee--you have probably told us this 100 times but tell us one more time, which routes do you serve? Any of us might be one of your passengers some day.

It is good to get the perspective of employees such as yourself and some others who have been on here from time to time. I sometimes wander what you guys are REALLY thinking about us passengers!!
Bill,

Based upon the following, it sounds to me like it's the Florida routes. :)

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
On the Florida trains when we are headed North, we are supposed to keep the last scheduled meal period to whichever that meal period's time ends or PHL, whichever comes first.
<Snipped>

Our crewbase supervisor out of MIA expects us to be open under those guidelines  which I previously mentioned, though some crews still try to cut corners.

He Works on the Silver Meteor (IIRC), as he was working 98 on my return trip. Obviously for now, the Silver Meteor is "part" of the Silver Star.

Viewliner said:
He Works on the Silver Meteor (IIRC), as he was working 98 on my return trip.   Obviously for now, the Silver Meteor is "part" of the Silver Star.
I remember that now.....he saw you and your family in the dining car, didn't he?

But if he works the Florida trains, wonder if he also works the Crescent? Come to think of it, I believe I have heard the Crescent is crewed out of NOL, so I guess not.

Skippy said:
Aloha

Hope this attendant isn't on my September trip. So fall I have had absolutly excelent service on all of the overnight trips. The two worst times were on short trips as a coach passenger on the Starlight. the best trip was also on the Starlight in a sleeper, LA to Seattle, twice.

Skippy said:
AlanB said:
I was on the Three Rivers back in January. My son and I were traveling in a sleeper. At 7 a.m. we were looking for coffee, or at least an attendant to put the beds away. No answer at the call button. So I wandered down to the lounge car. The attendant there told me that the sleeper attendant is "off" from 10 p.m.-8 a.m.! My son ended up heating up water in the urn in the sleeper for us and other passengers on board. We put our own bed away. In fact, when we got to our stop (before 8), we had to let ourselves off the train -- there was no crew at all! Very unusual in my Amtrak experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back