Laundry list of Amtrak fixes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe he is talking of the LSL heading towards Boston and a connection to the southbound inland corridor train at Springfield? I can't tell for sure. He does mention CT which could be Connecticut.
It seems like it. I'm guessing the one minute connection is 448 to 467. The main connection is to 497 (or bus 3479 when the trackwork is occurring) which provides a connection 6 days a week and leaves room for error. During the track project, 448 is without a SPG line connection on Saturday.
Yes that the one. Saturday was the day I was trying to do this connection.

Does not matter anymore, I got hung up on Long Island so I will meet my party in NYC not in Berlin.

Just to note the bus never show up as a choice. Short notice booking may of been filled.

Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe he is talking of the LSL heading towards Boston and a connection to the southbound inland corridor train at Springfield? I can't tell for sure. He does mention CT which could be Connecticut.
It seems like it. I'm guessing the one minute connection is 448 to 467. The main connection is to 497 (or bus 3479 when the trackwork is occurring) which provides a connection 6 days a week and leaves room for error. During the track project, 448 is without a SPG line connection on Saturday.
Yes that the one. Saturday was the day I was trying to do this connection.

Does not matter anymore, I got hung up on Long Island so I will meet my party in NYC not in Berlin.

Just to note the bus never show up as a choice. Short notice booking may of been filled.

Sorry for the confusion.

That being said, you are right. There should more connecting service at Springfield. The question I have is: Should the MBTA take it or Amtrak?

Personally, I think MBTA should provide frequent from Boston to Springfield with connections to the Springfield line. I'd also like to see and additional trip between ALB-SPG.

That area is a bit under served.

... should more connecting service at Springfield. The question is: Should the MBTA take it or Amtrak?

... MBTA should provide frequent trains Boston to Springfield with connections to the Springfield line. I'd also like to see an additional trip between ALB-SPG.
A second trip ALB-SPG-WOR-BOS should be an Amtrak train, like restored Inland Corridor trains NYC-New Haven-SPG-WOR-BOS.

The same route should carry intra-state trains, more like commuter trains, and Massachusetts/MBTA will pay for them. (Connecticut may help pay for corridor trains extending BOS-WOR-SPG-Hartford-New Haven.)

Last edited by a moderator:
MBTA is planning on runs from Springfield, MA to Boston. How long into you see service is the question.

CTDot is going to have frequent service from Springfield, Hartford, and New Haven. Once the track work is done.

Amtrak has given train off notice to several station on New Haven, Hartford, and Springfield route.

Have not heard anything about Albany, Springfield, and Boston service. It's need.

MBTA is planning on runs from Springfield, MA to Boston. How long into you see service is the question.

CTDot is going to have frequent service from Springfield, Hartford, and New Haven. Once the track work is done.

Amtrak has given train off notice to several station on New Haven, Hartford, and Springfield route.

Have not heard anything about Albany, Springfield, and Boston service. It's need.
Any source for the train-off's?

iirc It's no biggie. Amtrak will skip a few smaller stops, and make faster trips, but the Connecticut commuter trains will still stop at almost all the current stations. Maybe one or two will be consolidated with a nearby station, but I don't recall seeing anyone outraged by that happening.

I've read about the likelihood of the Amtrak Shuttle dropping service to some of the stations as commuter service starts up, but I can't recall specifically which stations.

If anything, more stations are likely to be added to the Hartford Line (as I believe it's being branded by ConnDOT) commuter rail service in coming years, as funding permits.

From north to south, stations have been planned/proposed in:

Enfield

West Hartford (connection to CTfastrak)

Newington (connection to CTfastrak)

North Haven

Hamden

Still, thanks to Just-Thinking-51 for showing me the potential connection between the WB Lake Shore Ltd. arriving CHI and the SB Carbondale trains.

And thanks again to Just-Thinking-51 for alerting me to the Springfield connection. In thinking about the soon-coming upgrades to the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield route, I've been thinking it's a big step toward restored Inland route trains to Boston. And I've thought about its impact on the Vermonter/Montrealer and a possible second frequency Vermonter.

I'd never thought for a glimmering minute about better service for the Lake Shore or any added riders to/from Albany and points west.
Network effects!

Any improvement in available connecting trains at Chicago, Buffalo (towards Toronto), Schenectady (towards Montreal & Vermont), Springfield (towards Connecticut & Vermont), or Boston benefits the LSL. (So would any improved connection at Cleveland or Toledo.)

Similarly, I expect the Moline service (now due to open in 2018? Maybe?) to add a few passengers a day to the LSL and a few passengers a day to the CL, as well as adding passengers to the Michigan trains, Carbondale trains, etc. If the connection is set up right there may even be passengers from Moline to the westbound SWC and CZ.

iirc It's no biggie. Amtrak will skip a few smaller stops, and make faster trips, but the Connecticut commuter trains will still stop at almost all the current stations. Maybe one or two will be consolidated with a nearby station, but I don't recall seeing anyone outraged by that happening.
Makes sense that Amtrak would drop a few stops. However, you do lose the luxury of speedier service if you're not going as far. I wonder how this will affect the 140-series trains.

I was wondering, once PTC is in place, how much additional work would be involved in raising the max speed to at least 90mph (and perhaps even 110mph) on the Capitol Corridor? It is depressing to see most of the cars running faster than the train on the highway along the railroad across the Yolo Causeway and then past Davis. Of course it is CalDOT's call to make I suppose.

Cal DOT actually has hired a surfacing team that continually keeps the tracks surfaced. Might not be any problem to upgrade to 90 - 110 if UP would agree. Main problem is working the slower freights into the fluidity problem. Some crossings work as well ?

Makes sense that Amtrak would drop a few stops. However, you do lose the luxury of speedier service if you're not going as far. I wonder how this will affect the 140-series trains.
Sounds like the situation in New Jersey, when NJT took over services formerly operated by Amtrak 'Clocker's'......

There have been some brilliant Amtrak fixes of late like the elimination of the 25 cent newspaper that they used to give to sleeper passengers, and the 5 cents worth of ice that was offered. Now you've got to drink your juice warm. If you believe that you will be able to lobby for changes at least get us the 5 cents worth of ice back.

Back