Logging Truck VS. City Of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
While I so far cannot find any news reports on this story, a reliable source from Railfan.net has posted pictures of a collision between a logging truck and the southbound City of NOL at Hammond, LA.

He reports no injuries on the train and that the train finished it's journey to New Orleans after a delay of an hour or so. No word on the driver of the logging truck nor the driver of an SUV that was crushed by logs falling from the truck.

Once again it would appear that another driver just couldn't be patient enough to wait for the train. So instead he risked his life and those of all of the pasengers and crew of the City of NOL.

You can view the pictures and a brief comentary at Railfan.net by clicking here.

What in heck is going on?!?!?!?!?!? :angry: I can't believe these people! That dumb trucker risked his life, and all the people onboard the City Of New Orleans! I don’t know about the people in the SUV, it looked very bad. It looked like the lead engine was #133, but I am unsure, the picture was fuzzy. I’m just glad the train and the people onboard are ok, that’s all I care about, well and the people in the SUV.

It looked like the 133 had a couple of dings, but that is to be expected in any grade crossing incident.

Amtrak’s southbound “City of New Orleans” train clipped overhanging logs from a truck just south of Hammond, La. yesterday afternoon, injuring a motorist in an adjacent highway lane when the logs rolled onto her vehicle. No one on board the train sustained reportable injuries.
A short article on the City of NOL's accident can be found in today's Trains News Wire located here.

Well this accident wasnt from a driver trying to beat the train this time, its just a case of stopping with the back end fowling the track just a bit. This incident wasnt too bad (execpt for that Explorer that thing was destroyed!). It calls to mind a wreck similar to this one where a school bus had stopped for a red light and the back end was over the grade crossing and a Metra train hit it back in 1995.

My AC on 91 was telling me a story about when he was backing down into Tampa a few months back. They were rollin down towards the station SB ready for the hotel and hot shower awaiting them in Lakeland. As they were backing in, a car stalled out on the crossing. The driver paniced, and somehow got the truck off the crossing just as they were about to dump it. As they rolled by him he looked down at the seat very embarassed. I'm sure it woke all three of them up.

An Amtrak train struck a logging truck in Hammond Tuesday afternoon, flipping logs onto another car and pinning the driver inside her vehicle for about half an hour, authorities at the scene said.  
The accident occurred at 3:11 p.m. when a truck hauling logs was stopped at a red light at the Old Covington Highway and Southwest Railroad Avenue tracks. The logs were protruding over the tracks and were hit by the passenger train, police at the scene said.
The above comes from the Hammond Daily Star. You can read the full story by clicking here.

:angry:

This was caused by the truck driver beating the train i was the one that saw the whole thing that driver never even moved this could have been avoided we all have to know Train time is any Time Look Listion Live Before crossing Railroad Tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back