long distance run in 06

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mp-44

Train Attendant
every year I decide where to go by train well in 06 it was all the way around the US. Trip started out fine in WAS. Boarded 29 to Chicago . Had sleeper service for the entire trip never did care for coach.Managed to get into Chicago about 1hr late No problem there Boarded 21 this was suppose to take me to LA. Much of this part was uneventful had good service. scenery was so-so when I got into the desert west of El Paso this was a good place for snakes scorpions and coyotes.Well did not quite make LA with the train being several hours late and having a thruway bus to Bakersfield I had to get off at Palm Springs 113 degrees not ready for that made the connection with a San Joaquin to Emeryville. this service is not bad.good track and on time.Stayed overnight and headed back to Chicago on 6. good service all the way.Beautiful views not much had changed in that respect.But we got later amnd later one delay after the next.UP KNOWS HOW TO RUN A RAILROAD.Went thru the Moffat tunnel at almost dark. the last time I did that was on the Old CZ.When we were in Iowa we stopped and some service reps got on and gave out vouchers for something for by this time we were 8hrs late. they called the passengers to the diner by connecting train number.I didn't get called found out I was the only one who was going out on 50 no room on 28 to Was the next day no good nothing on the LSL either. they did put me up in a hotel about 10 miles out from the city.I found out how nice it is to have friends in high places I made some phone calls and it sure was funny how that 4th sleeper got onto the LSL. no charge the rest of the way to NYC and then WAS. But WHAT A NIGHTMARE.mp-44.....

every year I decide where to go by train well in 06 it was all the way around the US. Trip started out fine in WAS. Boarded 29 to Chicago . Had sleeper service for the entire trip never did care for coach.Managed to get into Chicago about 1hr late No problem there Boarded 21 this was suppose to take me to LA. Much of this part was uneventful had good service. scenery was so-so when I got into the desert west of El Paso this was a good place for snakes scorpions and coyotes.Well did not quite make LA with the train being several hours late and having a thruway bus to Bakersfield I had to get off at Palm Springs 113 degrees not ready for that made the connection with a San Joaquin to Emeryville. this service is not bad.good track and on time.Stayed overnight and headed back to Chicago on 6. good service all the way.Beautiful views not much had changed in that respect.But we got later amnd later one delay after the next.UP KNOWS HOW TO RUN A RAILROAD.Went thru the Moffat tunnel at almost dark. the last time I did that was on the Old CZ.When we were in Iowa we stopped and some service reps got on and gave out vouchers for something for by this time we were 8hrs late. they called the passengers to the diner by connecting train number.I didn't get called found out I was the only one who was going out on 50 no room on 28 to Was the next day no good nothing on the LSL either. they did put me up in a hotel about 10 miles out from the city.I found out how nice it is to have friends in high places I made some phone calls and it sure was funny how that 4th sleeper got onto the LSL. no charge the rest of the way to NYC and then WAS. But WHAT A NIGHTMARE.mp-44.....
Were both the LSL and the CL really sold out in both sleeper and coach? Even if it was during a peak time, that sounds very unusual.

Were both the LSL and the CL really sold out in both sleeper and coach? Even if it was during a peak time, that sounds very unusual.
That's not unusual at all. In fact despite those who cry that the trains run empty, my CL and CZ to California were both totally sold out for at least part of the journey. Coming home the CZ had some space left in coach and only one bedroom left prior to departure. That too got sold along the way though.

The Capitol was again sold out, but I'm not sure about the LSL, although I do know that all bedrooms were sold out on the LSL prior to my departure from SAC. Not sure about coach though.

That's not unusual at all. In fact despite those who cry that the trains run empty, my CL and CZ to California were both totally sold out for at least part of the journey. Coming home the CZ had some space left in coach and only one bedroom left prior to departure. That too got sold along the way though.

The Capitol was again sold out, but I'm not sure about the LSL, although I do know that all bedrooms were sold out on the LSL prior to my departure from SAC. Not sure about coach though.
yes they both were the Capitol was sold out for the next three days and what space was available was given to the ones that were called to the diner on the CZ.I was odd man out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back