LOSSAN Strategic Plan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Dee

Lead Service Attendant
Check out the latest at Amtrak California's website:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/rail/lossanplan/l...lossanplan1.pdf

It's a long read, but it might interest a great number of you.

Most of the old ATSF Surf Line would be moved inland in tunnels and trenches to allow for high-speed double tracking.

The majority of the passengers on this route (myself included) would prefer a slightly slower trip with a view of the ocean. This route is known as the Pacific Surfliner, not the tunnel/trench liner. In my opinion, this is a massive waste of taxpayer dollars, even in the planning stages.

Maybe I lack a "strategic vision" and not mature for a "constructive dialogue" but my non-visional idea would be to buy a few Pendolino or Talgo trainsets. It works for old Italian, Spanish and ex-Soviet Kazakh tracks. Seems, it does work in Oregon and Washington. You got more speed, nice cars, happy passengers in Almaty, Madrid and Seatte. And it is dirt-cheap. This is too easy to implement. The poor, money-less Kazakhstan Demir Zholy did it. State of Oregon did it, too. A no-brainer. If one hates trains, he should not even think about it. Once it starts, these Talgo-s and Pendolino-s WILL come here and WILL work insanely well. Nobody will be to blame for "derailng" the great idea of digging and spending multi-gazillion taxdollars across a few decades.

Just wonder, how much $$$ was spent for that study already. I bet, we could buy one talgo coach already instead. :angry:

Ooops, sorry I forgot my handle.

ataMan = Gyuri_FT. The angry post about Talgo/Pendolino was made by Gyui_FT and I (Guri_FT = ataMan) take the full responsibility for it.

And yes, I would run that @#$% Talgo coach bought for the money already spent on this study between Salt Lake and San Diego via LVS and LAX. :angry: :angry: :angry:

It is not really about speed - it's capacity and double track. Between the NIMBY's, the IGMFY's (I got mine - f__ you) and the BANANA's (build absolutely nothing anywhere near anyone!) tunnels and trenches appear to be the only options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back