Lower Bunk in Family Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Latha

I think I read somewhere that the lower adult bunk in the family sleeper is wider than the top bunk. Does anyone know the demensions of the lower bunk? I'm wondering if my husband and I could share it. We sleep in a full size bed at home so we're used to not having a lot of room :)

Also, we're thinking of putting a bed rail guard along one of the child bunks for our son. Has anyone done this? He will be 10 months and still small enough that he would fall out if there wasn't a guard.

Latha,

According to Amtrak, the dimensions of the lower bed in the family room are 6' 2" by 2' wide. They also say that the upper bunk is the same size in this room. I'm trying to remember if that's true, I sort of think that it might be, but I'm not positive. I'll have to go and pull out my pictures from that room to confirm that. The child’s bunk is 4' 9" by 2' wide.

The problem that I do recall with the upper bunk is you've got to watch the headroom. One can't sit fully upright in that bunk without hitting their head on the ceiling. This is also true of the upper bunk in the deluxe bedroom. In the deluxe room, I'm positive that the upper bunk is smaller than the lower bunk.

You can check out this page from Amtrak's website for a diagram and the demensions. Additionally you might want to peak at this page on the Amtrak site. If you have QuikTime installed on your computer, then you can take a virtual tour of the family room. This is essentially a 360-degree picture of the room. There are two tours to play, one is the daytime setup and the other is the nighttime configuration of the room.

I've checked out the virtual tours and diagrams on Amtrak's website. On the diagrams, it says that the bunks are the same size. But on the virtual tour, the bottom bunk sure looks wider.

Latha,

I went through my pictures from a journey in the family room and the lower bunk is indeed wider than the upper bunk. I'm guessing that the top bunk might be closer to a foot and a half wide, while the lower is 2 feet wide.

The lower bed is indeed wider than the upper in the family room. On the two trips we've taken, I've slept in it and my wife (somewhat smaller than I) has taken the top bunk. I don't think you'd be able to get much sleep with two of you in there though. It's narrower than an average twin bed.

Our kids were big enough that they didn't need a guard, so I'm not sure if it would work. I assume your son would be in the lower bunk. There are straps to keep you in the uppers, but a 10-month-old would easily slip through these.

socalsteve said:
The lower bed is indeed wider than the upper in the family room. On the two trips we've taken, I've slept in it and my wife (somewhat smaller than I) has taken the top bunk. I don't think you'd be able to get much sleep with two of you in there though. It's narrower than an average twin bed.
Our kids were big enough that they didn't need a guard, so I'm not sure if it would work. I assume your son would be in the lower bunk. There are straps to keep you in the uppers, but a 10-month-old would easily slip through these.
Don't forget that the Family Room has an additional upper and lower bunk for children under 5' tall.

My family and I just returned from a roundtrip between San Antonio-Orlando and had the family sleeper both ways.

The bottom bunk is wider than the top bunk and I slept in it with my 20 month old next to me without any problem. At times, my 4 year old joined us and that definately was a tight fit so I moved her back to her bunk as soon as she fell back asleep.

All the beds have about a 2 inch "flimsy" (but comfortable) mattress on them and if the rail guard slips under the mattress it doesn't seem that it would be very secure. If it attaches in another way, your guess is as good as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back