Major Earthquake Hits CA Central Coast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tp49

Engineer
In case news hasn't filtered back to y'all on the East Coast there was a magnitude 6.5 earthquake hitting near Paso Robles and Cambria on California's Central Coast (I believe it's in San Luis Obispo County). I have had trouble finding out what the impact is on Amtrak in the SLO to LA corridoe on both 11/14 and on the Surfliners.

Maybe AllenDee will be able to give us some information on that end with him being closer than I am up here where we did not even feel any rolling or shaking at all.

I sure felt it this morning. Sitting right here at my desk and all of a sudden the whole house was shaking for 20 - 30 seconds. ;)

Anthony, sorry didn't realize that you are in SoCal too any damage where you are? :ph34r:

I have heard about the quake, but so far no reports on impact to Amtrak. However, if memory serves, I think that anything over a 5.0 magnitude requires an immediate stop and stay, until the situation is fully evaluated.

After that I believe that the first train over a stretch of track is limited to something like 30 MPH max, might even be slower than that.

So unless the tracks that Amtrak uses were far enough away from the epicenter, so as to not experience 5.0 or greater, then there must be some delays.

Preliminary reports (from another list) have 11 holding at Salinas while the tracks are inspected for 100+ miles and 14 holding at Santa Barbara with the inspection team reported to be 5 hours out. No word as of yet on the Surfliners.

For those not farmiliar with the Starlate's run Salinas is the northern point of where the tracks run along the coast so the delays could be extensive.

Nope, I'm down in Ventura for the holidays so we're a little far from San Simeon / Cambria area. No damage that I can tell.

Paso Robles was mentioned in the news as having some pretty serious structural demolition, including the landmark clock tower.

tp49 said:
In case news hasn't filtered back to y'all on the East Coast there was a magnitude 6.5 earthquake hitting near Paso Robles and Cambria on California's Central Coast (I believe it's in San Luis Obispo County).  I have had trouble finding out what the impact is on Amtrak in the SLO to LA corridoe on both 11/14 and on the Surfliners.
Maybe AllenDee will be able to give us some information on that end with him being closer than I am up here where we did not even feel any rolling or shaking at all.
I haven't heard any trains pass through since the quake.

I seriously doubt that UP would allow any trains to pass through the area for at least a day or so.

Yes, I did feel it! It was pretty spooky. The trees were moving wildly with no wind.

I know of no damage south (east) of Santa Barbara.

tp49 said:
Preliminary reports (from another list) have 11 holding at Salinas while the tracks are inspected for 100+ miles and 14 holding at Santa Barbara with the inspection team reported to be 5 hours out. No word as of yet on the Surfliners.
For those not farmiliar with the Starlate's run Salinas is the northern point of where the tracks run along the coast so the delays could be extensive.
Passengers will be bustituted between Salinas and Santa Barbara for 11-14.

Surfliner 775 to SLO will also involve bustitution, also 774 in the morning.

Track inspections found a minor slide (clearable by 3 or 4 guys with shovels) and a bridge knocked a couple inches out of alignment but passable. Starlights went thru 5-6 hours late both directions, and freights went thru during the wee hours.

Yesterday, I called "Julie" who connected my to an Amtrak operator. The northbound Starlight was already 1 hour late getting into Santa Barbara and was to be held there for about 4 hours (presumably to check tracks, etc.). Today's northbound Starlight (yesterday's train that was held up in Santa Barbara) is slated to arrive in Portland at 10:20 pm, more than 6 hours late. I was under the impression, too, that when the train was allowed to move it would do so under slow orders. I presume the southbound Starlight would also have been delayed. The computer lists the train as a disruption of service. The two trains meet north of San Luis Obispo in the Santa Marguerita Mountains (assuming both are on time, or close to it).

The southbound Starlight yesterday left Portland on time; the train today left a few minutes late, apparently not yet affected by the quake or its aftermaths (overlate trains can affect serving times and getting the train ready in time for the next run).

I do wish, though, that the media as well as Amtrak's Website would give us more information as to how the trains are affected by the quake. Besides the Coast Starlight, there are also the Pacific Surfliners that use the route between San Luis Obispo, Los Angeles, and San Diego. They are quick to point out delays in airline schedules or openings/closings of highways, but not of railways. Amtrak doesn't say anything on its site. I would prefer not to call and talk to a live operator who has many other people more needing of the service than I to deal with. I don't want to interfer with Amtrak's customers who do need the service. But, I still like to know what's going on.

Hopefully, train times will get back to normal or close to it. Christmas time is a busy time for Amtrak--there is so much going already. I do not want to see passengers (or potential passengers) inconvenienced more than they need to be.

For the first time since I've lived here I saw the Starlater meet here in Sac 14 (22) running about 6.5 hours late and 11(22) running relatively on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back