Menu Cycles

• Thread starter Guest_Orez Latot
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Orez Latot

Anyone know what the current menu cycles for the diners are? Am leaving for the west coast via the Lakeshore and Chief on the 13th, and have lost track of where they are in the rotation.

Guest_Orez Latot said:
Anyone know what the current menu cycles for the diners are? Am leaving for the west coast via the Lakeshore and Chief on the 13th, and have lost track of where they are in the rotation.
So have we. They rotate them every 5-6 months and I believe there are 4 menus currently in the system. I can tell you that you will have different menus on the LSL and SWC.

The one I've been seeing on the Chief lately is the one with seared catfish and manicotti...

Anthony said:
The one I've been seeing on the Chief lately is the one with seared catfish and manicotti...
Wow! :eek: Catfish & manicotti together on one plate. :blink: What a combination. :lol: :D :p

Actually I've had the catfish three or four times. Only once was it just so-so, the other times it was quite good. :)

Haven't tried the manicotti though.

On my recent trip on the Empire Builder and the Texas Eagle I had the same menu on both trains. I was really hoping for something different on the Eagle.

AlanB said:
Actually I've had the catfish three or four times. Only once was it just so-so, the other times it was quite good. :)
Haven't tried the manicotti though.
The lady I had dinner with on #98 had the catfish and it was her first time trying it. She said it was very good and if it were prepared anywhere else she probably wouldn't have liked it.

Thanks All, The only thing I can't find is the actual menu for cycle #4. The amtrak site only had 3 the last time I checked it.

For dinner menu #4 was T-bone, lamb, salmon, pasta or chicken when I was on the Empire Builder.

I assumed it was 4. It had a "4" on the back at the bottom inside a round button.

OK, I stand corrected, there are four cycles. Last I knew there were only 3. Learn something new everyday. I guess this makes it so that someone going coast to coast won't have the same menu on any of the different legs (assume NYP-LAX, NYP-SEA, WAS-EMY, etc.).

As far as the Silver Service trains are concerned, cycle #1 menu has been dropped for quite a while now, and only cylce #2 and #3 are in use at this time. Cycle #2 will be dropped before too long, and cycle #3 will replace cycle #2, then cycle #4 will take the place of cycle #3.

As far as the whole system, from what I understand cycle #1 will be dropped all together systemwide, and a new cycle #5 will be introduced in order to maintain four cycles systemwide (#2, 3, 4, and #5), though I am unsure of the dates as to when this should occur.

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
As far as the Silver Service trains are concerned, cycle #1 menu has been dropped for quite a while now, and only cylce #2 and #3 are in use at this time. Cycle #2 will be dropped before too long, and cycle #3 will replace cycle #2, then cycle #4 will take the place of cycle #3. As far as the whole system, from what I understand cycle #1 will be dropped all together systemwide, and a new cycle #5 will be introduced in order to maintain four cycles systemwide (#2, 3, 4, and #5), though I am unsure of the dates as to when this should occur.
A little more insight in regard to the new menu (at least in Silver Service) cycle. The menus are still numbered in cycles 1-4. The old #1 has been dropped as well as the old #2 cycle. The #3 menu which trains #91/#98 used is the old #4 cycle. The new #4 cycle is used on #92/#97. There are no major changes, other than the type cut of the steaks, and the addition of lamb to the menu on cycle #4(I have a friend who will be happy of that)! And there are a few minor changes to both menus (cycle #3 and #4) such as (to name a coupleof changes) the seafood salad is not a salad any more, the shrimp is served over a bed of rice (which makes more sense to me)! Y'all will have to see for yourselves!As far as the cycles system wide, I am not sure of which trains outside of Silver Service has what currently.

I did, however, notice, the prices rose "considerably"!!!! I mean $10 for a little bottle of whine!! C-mon!!!!! :ph34r: :angry:

I did, however, notice, the prices rose "considerably"!!!! I mean $10 for a little bottle of whine!! C-mon!!!!! :ph34r: :angry:
Well last I knew they weren't selling the small bottles anymore in the diner. They were selling the splits of wine, which is almost double the size of the smaller original bottles.

So that would account for at least part of the price increase on the wine.

I thought the attitude for some crews was included in the fare :lol:

Just kidding, many are great, particularlly one of the crews I had on this trip, which reminds me, I've got a trip report I have to type up.

Now, for those of you who can read, here's another slip up for you. I was looking over the menus with an LSA on Friday and we noticed something seriously wrong with the menu. Below each dinner selection is a sentence about what wine you should order with each dish. Here's what it said below the Steak: "A glass of (some sort of wine) complements this dish," or something to that effect, the idea of this wine complemetns the dish was what the actual sentence said. Now if you read that sentence right it gives the idea that the wine is included with the dish, a similar error was made on the fish I believe. We both feel it's only a matter of time before someone says, "Where's my wine?" because of the wording on the menu. We're friggin geniuses at Amtrak!

battalion51 said:
Now, for those of you who can read, here's another slip up for you. I was looking over the menus with an LSA on Friday and we noticed something seriously wrong with the menu. Below each dinner selection is a sentence about what wine you should order with each dish. Here's what it said below the Steak: "A glass of (some sort of wine) complements this dish," or something to that effect, the idea of this wine complemetns the dish was what the actual sentence said. Now if you read that sentence right it gives the idea that the wine is included with the dish, a similar error was made on the fish I believe. We both feel it's only a matter of time before someone says, "Where's my wine?" because of the wording on the menu. We're friggin geniuses at Amtrak!
"Where's my wine?" was asked quite a bit I am sure!!!! At least I was ask it. Someone had their genius cap on alright!!! :lol: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back