Metroliner Interiors

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
I was curious to see what the interior of the original Metroliner MU cars looked like, and how they compared to the Amfleet cars, but I havent had much luck finding a picture of their original interiors under either Penn Central or Amtrak.

I did suceed in finding a photo of one which had been turned into a cab car, its interior was refurbished into a Concept 2000 scheme and looks pretty much like anyother Amfleet coach with that style interior.

So does anyone have, or know of a site with photos of the original Metroliner interiors?

P40Power said:
...looks pretty much like anyother Amfleet coach with that style interior.
You pretty much got it. I don't think there was much interior difference from the Amfleet. The seats could possibly be of a different design, maybe the luggage racks too, but thats about it.

Actually, the original interiors of the Metroliners c.1968 were very "Star Trek" in their decor and styling. So were the hostess uniforms! I haven't stumbled across any images online but there are lots of hits in a google serach -- I didn't check them all...

The seats were a burnt orange, not atypical of styles in the late 1960's. The design was based on establishing the feeling of an aircraft with small windows and a curved body cross-section. Amazingly, that same style carried forward to the Amfleet design and is still the workhorse style for Amtrak passenger equipment over 35 years later.

The only partial (very partial) interior view I found is here. This is an old PC RR Metroliner postcard.

Wow from the looks of the far left picture, the chairs could swivel around, thats a pretty neat feature!! Other then that it doesnt look too much different from an un refurbished Amfleet. I looks pretty comfortable with those big seats.

P40Power said:
Wow from the looks of the far left picture, the chairs could swivel around, thats a pretty neat feature!! Other then that it doesnt look too much different from an un refurbished Amfleet. I looks pretty comfortable with those big seats.
That was the "first class" car. Single seating and swivel seats. The coaches were similar to Amfleet.

Ahhh I see, the Metroclub. Well I think the swivel chair feature is intresting. Did the Metroclub have its own food service bar in the middle just like Amclubs do?

In the mid 90s they had standard amfleet 1 seats with amfleet 2 interior colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back