Midwest Venture discussion 2023 Q3 -2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Venture cars, does anyone know what this beep/bell is? While on my recent trip and my first time on a venture car, this notification bell occasionally went off. I had figured that this was a "call attendant" type of bell. At first, I thought it was someone's cell phone, but it did sound like something built into the car.

(I couldn't find it an answer to this in the previous thread)

Attachments

• beep.mov
    3.9 MB
On Venture cars, does anyone know what this beep/bell is? While on my recent trip and my first time on a venture car, this notification bell occasionally went off. I had figured that this was a "call attendant" type of bell. At first, I thought it was someone's cell phone, but it did sound like something built into the car.

(I couldn't find it an answer to this in the previous thread)
I'm not getting any sound - Metra had a kind of chime at certain turns to alert crew to the turns (think it was an FRA regulation...).

Has the Pere Marquette changed to the new business class cars yet or is it still the old one with the cafe car? Thanks!

There are no Vemture cafe cars in service yet on any Midwestern route., so the old cafe/business cars are still running.
Have there been any recent updates on the Venture cafe cars? I heard that they were supposed to start being put into service this year, but the year is just about over and I've heard no updates in months. What's been going on?

Hello there, newbie to the forums and Amtrak. Apologies if this is not the proper place to inquire despite my efforts searching if this has already been answered. Wondering what the odds are for a Siemens Venture on the Lincoln Service STL-CHI-STL? Will be traveling in June in Coach. As I understand it the coach/economy cars have been in operation nearly two years now the business class cars are more sporadic and were introduced spring 2023; cafe cars are still awaiting introduction to revenue service.

Have the Lincoln Service frequencies transitioned entirely to Venture? It seems this is the predominant route they are featured on.

Curious as I will be traveling with someone in a power wheelchair and know the accessibility, lavatories are light years ahead of the 1970s era equipment they are replacing. Is there anywhere a seat map/schematic has been published? Tried searching Amtrak to no avail, details on the accessible seating area are limited to a few YouTube reviews with a very quick glance as someone was seated there w/o an assistive device.

Any insight appreciated. Thank you.

Have there been any recent updates on the Venture cafe cars? I heard that they were supposed to start being put into service this year, but the year is just about over and I've heard no updates in months. What's been going on?
The NGEC Dec 2023 monthly report has a couple of lines on the status of the IDOT Cafe Cars. They were awaiting internal design review and signoff from the customer and FRA. They were also awaiting completion of another safety related FRA signoff. Both of those have now taken place and the cars can now be furnished and delivered. It had been stated earlier that the delivery will happen in the first CQ24 possibly spilling into 2nd CQ24.

We will probably get a more comprehensive update in the Jan-Feb 2024 Report which is published after the annual meeting, which was scheduled for 2/2/24.

Have the Lincoln Service frequencies transitioned entirely to Venture? It seems this is the predominant route they are featured on.
That's a good question. Since no one has answered yet, I did a google search.
  • High speed Rail Alliance, Feb. 2022. "The cars are being introduced at a rate of 8 cars per month starting with the Chicago – St. Louis Lincoln service then expanded to other routes as more cars become available."
  • Progressive Railroading, June 2023. "'Between the shorter schedules and having more than half of all the new state-owned Amtrak Midwest Venture rail cars now in service, we are completing a full makeover of this corridor service,' Harris said."
  • Reddit 8 months ago. "I think most if not all of them are now running with Siemens cars."

Hello there, newbie to the forums and Amtrak. Apologies if this is not the proper place to inquire despite my efforts searching if this has already been answered. Wondering what the odds are for a Siemens Venture on the Lincoln Service STL-CHI-STL? Will be traveling in June in Coach. As I understand it the coach/economy cars have been in operation nearly two years now the business class cars are more sporadic and were introduced spring 2023; cafe cars are still awaiting introduction to revenue service.

Curious as I will be traveling with someone in a power wheelchair and know the accessibility, lavatories are light years ahead of the 1970s era equipment they are replacing. Is there anywhere a seat map/schematic has been published? Tried searching Amtrak to no avail, details on the accessible seating area are limited to a few YouTube reviews with a very quick glance as someone was seated there w/o an assistive device.

Any insight appreciated. Thank you.
The Coach cars were still a mix of old equipment and the Venture cars when the hubby and I rode the east & north-bound Missouri River Runner/Lincoln Service in October. There may be a higher proportion of Ventures in Coach now, though. The Lincoln Service trains go past my office window (just N of the Dwight, IL station) daily, and on at least 1 of the consists last week, I saw both an older combined Business Class/Cafe car and a Venture Business Class car.

Excellent thanks everyone for the replies. Seems likely at least one car will have them, but I still can’t find a seat map or anything on the designated accessible area. Will share anything I come across and report back

Excellent thanks everyone for the replies. Seems likely at least one car will have them, but I still can’t find a seat map or anything on the designated accessible area. Will share anything I come across and report back
In the older Coach car I was on in October, a disabled vet with a service dog was sitting in the designated "accessible" area, at the front of the car, across from the luggage rack. He wasn't wheelchair-bound, but there was extra legroom in front of him where a wheelchair could have been placed. (He used 2 canes to walk to the restroom in the back of the car -- quite a feat on a moving train!)

Are they more comfortable/easier accessible than the older coach cars?
They are more accessible, with wider isles and vestibules making movement easier. I believe the bathrooms are also larger.

Most people, myself not included, find them less comfortable than the older cars due to the slimmer, European-style seats.

They are more accessible, with wider isles and vestibules making movement easier. I believe the bathrooms are also larger.

Most people, myself not included, find them less comfortable than the older cars due to the slimmer, European-style seats.
I was in a venture car not too long ago and utilized the bathroom while on board. The bathroom is more spacious to help accommodate wheelchair access as well.

The restrooms are big and the adjoining hallways. I'm not sure whether & how the cars may vary, but our experience on the River Runner (across MO) was: 1) boarded in Kirkwood and half the seats face forward and half backward, with the forward-facing mostly full, so we went to the next coach and most seats were empty so we were fine; 2) seats do not recline; 3) seats seem somewhat hard at least after a while, so bringing along a pad may be helpful at least if you are very "lean"; 4) plugging in a cord took a bit of looking closely to find, and our device's plug didn't fit because it is elongated and (tucked deep between seats) the plugs didn't allow enough space for that; 5) apparently Union Pacific rule requiring lots of cars for sufficient train length (such as two unused baggage cars and several coaches) means some empty coaches most days, so seat sharing, lying down across seats (as I did for a nap), etc. never are a problem unless I suppose ornery staff want passengers in just a couple of cars so staff have it easier overseeing everyone, but our trainman was not like that, so when we asked about going beyond that crowded car and having a forward-facing seat and more space, he happily said "Oh yes."

Not exactly a seat map; but this blog covers accessibility on the Venture cars. https://wheelchairtravel.org/siemen...sibility-improvements-to-amtrak-rail-service/

TLDR the rear most pair of seats (opposite the luggage rack, and I believe backs to the bathroom) can flip up & create a space for mobility devices.

Back