Modifying/canceling a reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if you have a CHI-WAS itinerary set up? You booked the train trip there and are flying back. Now what if you're not going to be in WAS but NYC instead?
How do I change my train from WAS to NYC? It won't let me do it online. I have both voucher and credit card payments on the original trip.

What if you have a CHI-WAS itinerary set up? You booked the train trip there and are flying back. Now what if you're not going to be in WAS but NYC instead?
How do I change my train from WAS to NYC? It won't let me do it online. I have both voucher and credit card payments on the original trip.
Don't try to do anything beyond a simple cancellation online. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL, or the AGR number if you're a member.

I am flying into BWI for the Christmas holidays, but my final destination is in Washington DC.

If I book an Amtrak ticket on this route and my flight is delayed, would a same-day change require paying a fare increase? Or can I contact Amtrak to make that same-day change free of charge?

I am flying into BWI for the Christmas holidays, but my final destination is in Washington DC.

If I book an Amtrak ticket on this route and my flight is delayed, would a same-day change require paying a fare increase? Or can I contact Amtrak to make that same-day change free of charge?
it would depend on the Train and the Class of Service/Regional or Acela/Limited # Stop @ BWI ( book Coach !/Biz Class isn't worth it for such a Short Trip) as to what the Bucket would be, it could be Higher,Lower or the Same Fare!

The Agents @ the Amtrak Station can help you ( you ride a Shuttle Bus from the Terminal to the Station) if you have to change your ticket, there are frequent Trains on the NEC between BWI and Washington.

Also check to see if the MARC service fits your schedule.

According to the MARC webpage, the fare from BWI to WAS is $8.00. Amtrak will probably be significantly higher, especially since they don't want to tie up a seat they could book for a longer trip. I seem to recall that I was once in Baltimore and went up to the Amtrak ticket window and the agent suggested I take MARC (this was a long time ago). It's only about a 30 minute ride.

According to the MARC webpage, the fare from BWI to WAS is $8.00. Amtrak will probably be significantly higher, especially since they don't want to tie up a seat they could book for a longer trip. I seem to recall that I was once in Baltimore and went up to the Amtrak ticket window and the agent suggested I take MARC (this was a long time ago). It's only about a 30 minute ride.
A quick check of a few dates tomorrow thru mid December shows the fully-refundable Flex fare from BWI to WAS on most NERs at $5 or $6.

I have an H-room reserved from ORL to NWK on points. I found a hotel room on the other side of the river, so I'd like to change the destination to NYP (which is in the same fare zone as NWK). I called AGR and the agent said they can't modify to make that change because there are no more H-rooms available on that train.

Is it true that, unlike a room change, a ticket can't be modified to change the destination, or is it worth my while to try to speak to a supervisor?

I know that an alternative is to try to find the conductor after the WAS crew change and ask if he'll let me do it off the books. The fact that I have a mobility scooter to unload is a bit of a complication, since there will be a Service Request in for assistance at NWK.

I have an H-room reserved from ORL to NWK on points. I found a hotel room on the other side of the river, so I'd like to change the destination to NYP (which is in the same fare zone as NWK). I called AGR and the agent said they can't modify to make that change because there are no more H-rooms available on that train.

Is it true that, unlike a room change, a ticket can't be modified to change the destination, or is it worth my while to try to speak to a supervisor?

I know that an alternative is to try to find the conductor after the WAS crew change and ask if he'll let me do it off the books. The fact that I have a mobility scooter to unload is a bit of a complication, since there will be a Service Request in for assistance at NWK.
I would ask to speak to a supervisor, which may or may not help. I am assuming that because there are no additional H rooms available, you cannot be switched to another car. It is possible that an experienced agent could cancel your original reservation, thus making a room available, and immediately rebook you in your original room. By doing that, there is a risk that in the short time between the 2 reservations, the room could be booked by someone else.

I also believe that if the fares have increased, you would be charged the increase fare. Good luck.

I booked a tocket from SLO to EMY on CS for Jan 12 coach and from EMY to OSC on Jan 13 CZ roomette. At the time of purchase, I made sure to buy the CS as a refundable ticket (I think it cost $8 or something more). I am now thinking that it may be more logistically convenient for us to rent a car up to EMY (drop it off at a Avis nearby. and then take a taxi to EMY -- it appears to be 3 miles away). In any case, I was looking into canceling my CS ticket, but the cancellation offers to take out the entire trip, at a fee of roughly a fourth (I may add, $255). The coach ticket itself was sort of $78 (including the refundable fee). Anyway, how do I cancel the coach ticket without being charged the hefty cancelation fee, and more importantly, lose the entire ticket?

Should the price of the ticket change, given that I am only canceling the refundable coach ticket. Not interested in changing the roomette reservation.

I am on a Cardinal Viewliner train in July and I was assigned Roomette #5. I wanted to know if room #2 was available so I called Amtrak.
The rep told me it is available -- for $142.00 more.
So are certain rooms are priced more than others for a reason? Aren't they all the same?
Should I make the reservation through the agent and then all the rooms are priced the same?

The agent needs to modify your reservation, not cancel & rebook at a higher fare. If you’re told it will cost more then ask for a supervisor.

I suspect the primary reason for the fare increase was the differing dates of the initial booking and the recent inquiry.

One way to get a feel for this is to make a dummy booking for a roomette on a travel date about two months from now, searching for a travel date with a fare at about middle bucket. Record that fare and them check the exact same trip and date every week or so.

Select a roomette just because there are more of them and are least likely to get sold out. You may well see the fare rise and/or fall several times.

Don't know the answer to any of your three questions.

Last edited:
Are able to modify your ticket if you are using points if you see a lower bucket?
Yes! I have done it a few times. However, you MUST only speak with a guest rewards rep by calling 800-307-5000; a rep in the general call center will likely not be able to do it. Hours are 8AM-8PM, and they are closed on holidays (like today). They also might want to move you into a different room that is in the lower bucket; it will be the same kind of room, just a different room number I don't have a problem with this, but you might need a supervisor to override. Me, I'm just happy to get the lower fare and points refunded!

Yes! I have done it a few times. However, you MUST only speak with a guest rewards rep by calling 800-307-5000; a rep in the general call center will likely not be able to do it. Hours are 8AM-8PM, and they are closed on holidays (like today). They also might want to move you into a different room that is in the lower bucket; it will be the same kind of room, just a different room number I don't have a problem with this, but you might need a supervisor to override. Me, I'm just happy to get the lower fare and points refunded!
They should not move your room, if they try to, then ask for a supervisor.

When changing a ticket bought on points to a different date with a lower fare, the difference is refunded but a penalty of 10% of the points difference is assessed. It shows on the transaction register as "Travel Redemption - Change".

Is this assessed on a points refund based on a fare reduction without a date change as well?

Back