Moments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve4031...there was a lot of good stuff in your report that I can identify with, the switching moves, the good fortune of the reservations being screwed up so you had that nice little room all to youself to do serious raiilroading, wthout distraction.....

But I am intrigued about that the tornado in Wyoming. Did the passengers feel threatened? Did the train stop? Did you encounter hail and fierce rain? Or...............was it more like this wierd cloud formation way off at a safe distance?

Hi All,

I took my first train ride in Europe when backpacking around. I took my first Amtrak trip in 1978. I like both train systems. In Europe, I like those cozy little cabins, though that's changed now and they are moving more towards capacity seating. Russian trains are awesome, though sometimes not many amenities abound. I loved the old lounge cars that Amtrak ran. The current lounge cars are nice for viewing but I miss the tables and sitting with strangers and starting up a card game. There are only four tables downstairs in the current cars, which is not nearly enough. Anyway, I think the majority of people love the trains because it's an escape into a solitary world--and there is movement, a destination. It can all be a bit mysterious. At night, when the train is dimly lit, there is a feeling of warmth; it's almost womb-like, I think. Not to get psychological or anything. I like long train trips. Don't care for short ones. Need lots of time to reflect and read and talk to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back