More Michigan Service Woes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiganFoamer

Train Attendant
Twilight Ltd., Train 354 (22JAN) delayed at station account too many

toilets not working; conductor refused to depart until fixed. Once

toilets were fixed there was a HEP problem and the train had to be

short looped between the AMTK 32 and the lead Coach. Train was further

delayed account single tracking on Norfolk Southern, waiting for

incoming Train 365 to clear.

Total delay 2hr 25min :(

MichiganFoamer said:
Twilight Ltd., Train 354 (22JAN) delayed at station account too manytoilets not working; conductor refused to depart until fixed. Once

toilets were fixed there was a HEP problem and the train had to be

short looped between the AMTK 32 and the lead Coach. Train was further

delayed account single tracking on Norfolk Southern, waiting for

incoming Train 365 to clear.

Total delay 2hr 25min :(
Do you know what engine# it had.

Well look at his post, he says mentions Amtrak 32, which is a P42, so I assume that was the unit on that train. 32 Frequents the michigan service, its one of the very few units left in the great Phase III.

P40Power said:
Well look at his post, he says mentions Amtrak 32, which is a P42, so I assume that was the unit on that train.  32 Frequents the michigan service, its one of the very few units left in the great Phase III.
That is a real crapy engine when it ran on the International 4 times it quit at East Lansing or i should say one time it blew up.

P40Power said:
Well look at his post, he says mentions Amtrak 32, which is a P42, so I assume that was the unit on that train.  32 Frequents the michigan service, its one of the very few units left in the great Phase III.
Very true. Its one of only four engines remaining in the Phase III scheme (the others being 29, 30, and 31). You can find a picture of #32 here. Interestingly enough, this is a rare thing--for #32 to be on the move. I wonder if it might be in the process of being repainted/serviced.

BNSF_1088 said:
Watch out for engine #27 that is a bad one to it also blew up in East Lansing it shot flames out underneth the engine.
Wasn't 27 the one that they tested out as a flame thrower? :lol: :D

The idea was to incinerate cars that run the crossing gates. :lol: :D

Don't forget trusty Engine 4, it killed three traction motors (in the same slot) and blew the electircal system all in three months. Now that's a bad engine :lol:

AlanB said:
BNSF_1088 said:
Watch out for engine #27 that is a bad one to it also blew up in East Lansing it shot flames out underneth the engine.
Wasn't 27 the one that they tested out as a flame thrower? :lol: :D

The idea was to incinerate cars that run the crossing gates. :lol: :D
It was Awsome to see 7 inches of snow on the ground.As soon as the engineer notched it up it blew black smoke and flames but it made it into CHI belive it or not i wish i had my video cam for that. :lol:

Locos #26 thru #37 and #128 are ITCS fitted for working Michigan routes from Chicago IL, which explains why they rarely leave the corridor. Once the Phase III P42s are BADLY OVERDUE for their overhaul, that's when they'll be called to Beech Grove for complete overhaul and rebuild/repaint.

Here's a photo I took of the overhaul process, P40 #842 stripped down to the bare frame -- It is up and running again!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=30681

I can't tell you when the Amtrak line in Michigan will be ready to run the high speed on a permanent basis the State of Michigan pays a lot of money into that project and with the budget woes they might take money out of that budget to run the State supported Trains this was disscused in a Transportation meeting that i attended from what MDOT said it needs a lot of work there having probs with the computers and grade crossing timeing just a little update in realty you might shave 10min off run time with the 110mph running you have KAL DOA NLS those stations are real close togather so you would hit 110mph and slow right down for Station Stops.And then with the single track issue with 8 Amtrak trains a day you will have to meet at least one train.

F40PHR231 said:
Here's a photo I took of the overhaul process, P40 #842 stripped down to the bare frame -- It is up and running again!
Well the 842 in particular needed to have the entire Fireman's side stripped down. Take a look at this picture I shot in October 2002 and tell me if you can tell why.
Amtrak%20P-40%20Locomotive%20842.jpg

battalion51 said:
F40PHR231 said:
Well the 842 in particular needed to have the entire Fireman's side stripped down. Take a look at this picture I shot in October 2002 and tell me if you can tell why.
Amtrak%20P-40%20Locomotive%20842.jpg
It looks like it sideswiped something. :lol:

battalion51 said:
What? That little scratch in the paint? That's nothing! ;) Looks like the front end of a truck got just a little too close to the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back