Most Vital Task to make Amtrak Better

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most Vital Task to make Amtrak Better

• Begin bringing the NEC to modern standards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Begin rebuilding the entire Superliner I fleet

• Finish Amfleet I and II refurbishments

• Purchase new long distance Heritage replacements

• Remodel aging stations throughout the national system

• Standardizing quality of service from employees

• Other (specify)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the above. :lol: But seriously there are two major projects that I want to see done, all Amfleets refurbished, and replacement of all the Heritage Dorms, but upgrade the Diners to Temoinsa standards, those are still in pretty good shape for the most part.

For me I think the most vital task is to bring the NEC up to modern standards. The century old catenary system is on the brink of major collapse. All the replacement parts have to be specially made, if they can be made at all. As for plant, many curves could use some straightening, wooden ties replaced with concrete, and bridges and tunnels rebuilt. The areas arround the tracks could use some cleaning up, and for added security I think chainlink fencing should be put up in high population density areas. The hundreds of commuter stations along the route could use an advance warning system that tells passengers high speed trains are approaching so know one is caught by an unexpected Acela Express traveling at 135mph.

The hundreds of commuter stations along the route could use an advance warning system that tells passengers high speed trains are approaching so know one is caught by an unexpected Acela Express traveling at 135mph.
I'm hoping that something like that will be installed down here at Tri-Rail stations, since Amtrak and CSX rip through some of their stations at up to 80 MPH. (Of course the guys always give a little extra horn when they're approaching a station they don't stop at).

I chose other because track improvements which will improve on time performance are really the most important - there is no question about it in my mind. Most people who develop an attitude of "never again" developed it due to the poor nationwide on time performance, and this needs to be improved ASAP.

Some of the other options listed were good to though. EVERY Amtrak station should be brought up to a "minimum standard," this is particularly important at Amtrak's rural stations throughout the midwest and west. By minimum standard I mean that every station should, at bare minimum:

1. Provide a paved boarding platform a few cars longer than the length of the longest train that serves the station on a normal basis that is clearly striped/marked.

2. Provide a covered semi-enclosed shelter with bench(es) of some sort (even a glass bus-type shelter would be acceptable at the smaller rural stations.

3. Provide a pay-telephone onsite.

4. Provide destination signing at the station and signage regarding the station's train schedules.

Most cities are willing to assist Amtrak in improving their stations. California boasts a few prime examples of this. Other cities, such as Winnemucca, NV just need a little encouragement. I have been working with NDOT and the City of Winnemucca over the past few months to bring their station up to the "minimum standards." So far I was able to work with the agencies to remove the six-foot tall weeds that covered the platform and made train boarding difficult, restripe the yellow platform safety stripe, install a barrier-chain between the platform and parking area to keep cars from driving up onto the platform to wait for passengers (yes, this was a big problem), and replace the broken out windows in the glass enclosed shelter. We are still working on getting trailblazer signs installed directing motorists to the station from the nearby I-80 and a destination sign at the station, getting a pay-telephone installed (there are none nearby and the only working cell phone in the area is Cellular One), and getting a security camera installed that will hopefully prevent repeated vandals from breaking out the glass panes in the shelter. Believe it or not all these little things count when you might end up spending a few hours waiting at the station for the train.

I too have to choose other as the most important things right now would be regular maintenance of equipment and infrastructure improvments (trackage, stations and other facilities owned by Amtrak).

However for this FY the best thing for them to do is bring more cars on line, improving labor relations, and improving public relations.

My vote was for the "improve employee standards". We all have come across Amtrak employees that would make a first time rider vow to never ride Amtrak again. This is very importent because the employee is ususlly the customers first impression.

My vote was to improve consistent employee standards....that is something the public can see and understand (in any industry) ....some of the equipment details us railroaders know about , however, important, may slip right by them......the behavior of the staff can make or break the trip more than a lot of the more tangible things those of us on this panel are interested in.

Sure, we can't operate on "smiles alone" or all the equipment and infrastrucutre will someday crumble into pieces....but the standard of service thing is something can we can get started on right now. It does not require approval of the House or the Senate, etc, etc, etc.

There really should be an "All of the Above, and Then Some" choice up there.

Right now, there is so much on Gunn's plate to bring Amtrak even up to standard.

But "Standard" is the key word. Many of Amtrak's problems stem from the fact that so many aspects of operations are not standardized.

When you have various differences or ways of doing business, being consistent in your services begins to suffer.

I can think of a perfect example to support what Alan is saying. A few months ago I was sitting in the lounge with the Conductor, when a woman approached him with a request. She requested he retrieve a bag from the baggage car because her CD player was in that bag. The request was deined. Well the woman wanted his name so she could complain because "the Conductor coming south had no trouble getting it." There should be clear cut rules for everything, including something as simple as retriveing a bag from the baggage car.

battalion51 said:
She requested he retrieve a bag from the baggage car because her CD player was in that bag. The request was deined. Well the woman wanted his name so she could complain because "the Conductor coming south had no trouble getting it." There should be clear cut rules for everything, including something as simple as retriveing a bag from the baggage car.
Of course this conductor was right. Once baggage is checked it is not supposed to be accessible until your final destination is reached. My only question is how would the conductor have gotten the baggage anyway? Since you didn't mention which train it was on I don't know how the baggage is handled on that particular route, but on the Superliners the baggage car is only accessible from the outside roll up/sliding door and the train would need to be stopped before the baggage could be retrieved. Was this a situation like the California San Joaquins were baggage is kept in the lower level of one of the coach cars inaccessible to passengers?

You nailed it right when you mentioned standards Amfleet fan. I gave the simple case of just at stations but it truly is a system wide problem that many other transportation carriers have ironed out and set much clearer than Amtrak. But perhaps that is why Amtrak can sometimes be so amusing and comical. You can really never expect the same thing twice...

:rolleyes:

JC,

"Usually" superliner trains use a Transition sleeper behind the baggage car. The crew have access to the baggage car from the one end of the transition car (the downstairs end) and access to the rest of the train on the other end of the car (the upper level).

Just to give another small, and rather meaningless example. On my Thanksgiving trip to Florida, I ordered BOTH a side of bacon and a side of sausage on the Capitol with no problem. The next morning on the Silver Meteor, I was told that I would have to pay for one of the sides, since only one side was allowed to be included. It wasn't a big deal, but goes to show how screwed up Amtrak can be on policies.

jccollins said:
Of course this conductor was right. Once baggage is checked it is not supposed to be accessible until your final destination is reached. My only question is how would the conductor have gotten the baggage anyway? Since you didn't mention which train it was on I don't know how the baggage is handled on that particular route, but on the Superliners the baggage car is only accessible from the outside roll up/sliding door and the train would need to be stopped before the baggage could be retrieved. Was this a situation like the California San Joaquins were baggage is kept in the lower level of one of the coach cars inaccessible to passengers?
You nailed it right when you mentioned standards Amfleet fan. I gave the simple case of just at stations but it truly is a system wide problem that many other transportation carriers have ironed out and set much clearer than Amtrak. But perhaps that is why Amtrak can sometimes be so amusing and comical. You can really never expect the same thing twice...

:rolleyes:
Well it was Silver Service, but regardless the baggage car can ALMOST always be accssesed from the body of the train, although in rare cases it is only accessible from the outside. I have seen cases where Conductors have retrieved baggage from the baggage car because someone inedvertently packed medication in a checked bag, but there are some that will almost always make the "customer" happy.

amtrakmichigan said:
JC,
"Usually" superliner trains use a Transition sleeper behind the baggage car. The crew have access to the baggage car from the one end of the transition car (the downstairs end) and access to the rest of the train on the other end of the car (the upper level).
I didn't even think of that - thanks.

I agree that all of these really are important, my vote went to Heritage Replacements. The category should really be Heritage Replacements/Viewliner suppliments, considering we don't have enough sleepers to go around as is. I'd settle for that until we could get a matching Viewliner consists for all of our trains.

Upgrading the NEC definitely is right up there. The longer we neglect it, the more it's going to cost to fix it. We don't want it to start falling apart, we need to modernize it, and be able to run the Acela's at a more consistent and safe 150 mph speed. I'd say that this and the Heritage Replacements/Viewliner Suppliments are a tie.

Coming in a close second is to repair what we've got. We need to return as many Superliners as quick as possible, they need to be out there making money. We need to get enough in to return the Cardinal to Superliners out of WAS, and the fleet isn't stretched in. Doing so would also relieve some of the stress on the Viewliners.

Sorry, I've been so busy lately that I just wasn't paying attention. :(

Then again, I don't owe attention any money, so I don't know why I'm paying him either. :lol: :D :)

Unpinned as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back