My last AGR points run -- Baltimore to Philly and Paoli -- January 201

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Amtrak Guest Rewards program made a big change effective January 23, 2016, and not one for the better. At least not for those of us who snagged Select Plus status (and access to Club Acela/Metropolitan Lounge in busy stations) on the basis of the 100 point minimum for cheap trips. So before it all went away, I decided to do one last run.

The date picked, January 17. My goal: Every fare under $50, so that I could earn a 100 point minimum without having to spend $50. This is not easy to do on the NEC, except for the BAL-WAS run, which I wasn't going to do because that was too much like my daily commute. What I decided to do was visit Philadelphia, and improve my yield by taking a side trip on the Keystone to Paoli. This was a sentimental return to my childhood, as from ages 8 through 11, I rode the Paoli local between Bryn Mawr and Merion Station twice a week to attend Hebrew school. I also decided to visit the University of Pennsylvania Museum sort of near 30th St. Station, a favorite Sunday excursion during my childhood. Sunday the 17th worked perfectly. The next day was Martin Luther King day, which meant I was able to score a low bucket ($40 and change) Senior Value fare on the evening trip home. (Sunday evenings on the NEC can get pricey.) I also scored a $36 Saver fare on the trip up in the morning. So far, I'm ahead, but not by much. But the trip to Paoli: $6 senior fare each way for a cool 200 points. The total trip: an $88 spend for 400 points! Alas, such things are no more.

My morning train left Baltimore at 0703 hrs, at that time of the year, it was still darkish, and it was a cloudy day all day. All my photos were blurred. But we did get into Philadelphia a minute early. What is this, Switzerland or something? Nah, if it were Switzerland, the train wouldn't have been early, it would have been exactly on time.

20160117_081742.jpg

I really like that they still have a Solari departure board.

No time to use my Select Plus and chill in the Club Acela, I just went into the cattle line (which wasn't much of one on Sunday morning), and boarded my Keystone. The last time I rode this route regularly was in 1975, and they were using Silverliners. Amfleets are a nice change.

Off we go, and here is my Hebrew school commute, in reverse. (Back then, in the 1960s, the fare was 30 cents, being younger than 12, I got to ride half fare, which was 15 cents. (that's $2.25 and $1.15 in today's money. The current fare is $3.50. And they wonder why ridership is down.)

Here's Merion Station ( a bit blurry)

20160117_084443.jpg

Ardmore (This Keystone stops here):

20160117_084756.jpg

Bryn Mawr

20160117_085116.jpg

As we whizzed by Bryn Mawr, I saw that Parvin's Pharmacy was still in business! I used to walk up there when waiting for the train to buy a nickel candy bar to eat during my ride.

Finally, we got to Paoli, which will be another Amtrak station that is not included in the coffee table photo books of "Great Railway Stations of the World," but at least the waiting room was open and heated, and the restrooms worked.

20160117_090316.jpg

While waiting for my return Keystone, I did get to see some SEPTA Silverliners in action,

20160117_090901.jpg

20160117_093224.jpg

Finally, my Keystone arrived, and I was whisked back to 30th street.

From there, I headed out to the subway entrance and boarded a "subway surface car" (i..e an underground trolley) to ride a couple of stops to the University of Pennsylvania campus. Had it been warmer, I might have walked, but why not ride more rail vehicles.

20160117_101932.jpg

The Penn Museum is a great place for Indiana Jones fans. These guys dug up the ancient city of Ur in Mesopotamia in the 1920's, and they have some cool artifacts. When I was a kid, I loved coming through to see the Egyptian mummies. They don't have this stuff in Baltimore; not even Washington has this kind of collection.

20160117_110113.jpg

20160117_111412.jpg

20160117_111744.jpg

20160117_112015.jpg

20160117_113729.jpg

20160117_114115.jpg

When I was done there, it was time for lunch, so I found a local joint and had an authentic Philly cheese steak (or is it "cheesesteak?"). Then I rode the trolley back into Center City and knocked around a while till it was time to catch my train home. I took advantage of the free ride from Suburban Station offered by SEPTA to all with an Amtrak ticket. (Actually, offered to anyone, as I've never seen SEPTA conductors check tickets between Center City and 30th St.)

The ticket office at Suburban Station, where I picked up my first Amtrak timetable in May 1971. This used to be an Amtrak station, the Keystones terminated here.

20160117_173338.jpg

Back at 30th street, I enjoyed a fancy imported beer and dinner at Bridgewater's Pub.

20160117_175736.jpg

Then, up to the Club Acela and wait for my southbound regional, which I believe was running a bit late. It finally arrived, and I had an uneventful trip back to Baltimore.

But wait, there's a bonus. That wasn't really my last points run. That was a couple of days later, on Thursday the 21st. I had planned to ride MARC home, but as an attendee of an SAE conference, I got access to the preview night at the Washington Auto show, and by the time I was done, riding home on NER 188 made a lot more sense. Because it was a Thursday night, and crowds were fleeing the approaching apocalyptic snowstorm, coach was high bucket, and I anticipated crowds, so I splurged for business class. So a ~$39 ticket, but I still got the 100 points, not the 70 some points I'd get now.

20160121_184922.jpg

20160121_185317.jpg

And that was my last points run.

Now I need a new plan to reach Select Plus without having to spend $5,000 on Amtrak tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if Double Days will return? Usually by now we have an idea. I've done many point runs especially during the Spring and Fall Double Days. I've used the Keystones to go from ELT to HAR or LNC. For the longest time it was $11.04 R/T Now it's $11.90. Once a week for the 2 or 3 months Double days ran I would amass 450 points with Select. With the 100 point minimum gone, that is history. I still have a few trips coming up that are necessary,but the point runs are over. I was in Chicago last month and with a day to kill I rode to Joliet and back. What used to be 250 points was now 28. I did book one last big trip before 1/23 from ELP to FTL for 20,000 points(two zone roomette)for April.I 'm starting in LA and will do Coach overnight. Hopefully Double days will be in effect and I'll get some decent points to ELP. I'm flying to Los Angeles from BWI to begin my trip. To get to BWI from Pa. I'm going from HAR-BWI and return and during my ten hour layover in LA I'm taking a Surfliner to FUL to have dinner at one of my favorite places The Old Spaghetti Factory.

Being semi retired with not a whole lot of disposable income, I'll only ride when I actually go on a trip. I already miss those Point Runs. Yes, of course I understand Amtrak's reasoning but those runs enabled me to take a lot of long distance rides the longest way possible over the years. It was great while it lasted.

Back