My Upcoming Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think he was not suposed to be a car attendant as his name tag said Dining Cat Attendant. I have also seen his name in trip reports where his duty was a lead Dining Car Attendant. I was envying however the car attendant up one car. His name was Charles and everyone seemed to be bosting about him. My trip was one the Meteor, so I guess I just got a bad apple.

Well I've had some pretty good luck with the Star, only once did I have an attendant that I would consider mediocre. One of the best attendant's I've ever had was on a Star returning from Orlando to NYP. He came around with a basket full of juice, water, cookies, and other stuff. He put out the little chocolates on our pillows at night, was super friendly and almost always in sight whenever you stepped out of our room.

I also encountered one of the best dining car stewards on the Star going southbound to Hollywood. Then oddly enough the same steward was on the Palm when I returned. He remembered me as soon as I showed up at dinner and even remembered that I had gotten off in Hollywood five days earlier.

B51,

Have you ever met Dakota a dining car steward on the Silver Service? I can't recall his full name but I do remember that he went by the nickname of Doc. I don't know if he's retired yet or not, since he was working trains even before there was an Amtrak. I had a couple of really nice conversations with him on my trip, and the man had the patience of a saint. :)

On Train #98 leaving MIA on Saturday, the best attendant in my opinion on Silver Service is Vic, he had waters in the rooms as well as his business cards. I find crew problems occur mainly in the Diner, in my experience #97 leaving NYP Thursday wasn't good last year. The crew I had on the Silver Star was outstaning, the one attendant in the diner would make the foil on the to-go food in the shape of animals (that was also when I was in the Temionsa Diner)

Viewliner said:
The crew I had on the Silver Star was outstaning, the one attendant in the diner would make the foil on the to-go food in the shape of animals (that was also when I was in the Temionsa Diner)
I don't know if it's the same guy, but I saw an attendant do that once too on the Star. He made a swan out of the foil, it was really cool. :)

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
The crew I had on the Silver Star was outstaning, the one attendant in the diner would make the foil on the to-go food in the shape of animals (that was also when I was in the Temionsa Diner)
I don't know if it's the same guy, but I saw an attendant do that once too on the Star. He made a swan out of the foil, it was really cool. :)
Probably was the same guy, it was cool, my little brother liked it especially. Well I packed my scanner, charger, frequencies, back-up glasses, walkie-talkies, Tickets (of course, with one of my pics on the envelope), Conductor Badge, and Train Keys (wanna see if they work anywhere). I also have a notebook for my trip report, camera, film, flash, and Viewliner Info (Plan to re-write and re-post on my site [below link in signature]. :) B)

Here is the part where I cry. Naw I'm just kidding you Viewliner, I know this a special thing for you, where as for me it's become more of a pain getting all the gear together and whatnot. As for your keys I always keep a large supply of my key, Papermate pens. Now when you refer to "back-up glasses" are those safety glasses or what? And if you don't have safety glasses I would work on that. :D

You forgot two of the most important things. One, your Amtrak luggage tags. :) Two, your I'm riding a train grin. :lol: :D :p :)

Make sure to get pictures of the electrics and the diesel electric switch at WAS if you can.

Alan, i have my Amtrak Luggage Tag (and its not a cheap paper one either) and My Grin Will be waiting for me at Newark Penn Station.

Battalion, by glasses I mean actual glasses, I only wear them at night, but wear contacts during the day. Where could I get safety glasses though?

as for Pics, I can get the train pulling into NWK, and #98 pulling into WPB, as for the Switch my mom won't let me see it at the hour #97 is in WAS, I have to hope that #98 will be late enough into WDC for me to be permitted to see the electrics then, if not I'll try my luck in Newark. I'll try to get to the head end in JAX, but I'll probably be stopped by the fuel guy, who won't be nice enough to let me get a picture of it (happened last time).

Steve, I'll be careful, and if need be, I'll just ask a conductor to see his/hers for comparison, although 1 or both could be used in my room I think. Btw: My Radio Scanner and the Window are enough for me, and I try not to pack too much.

Thanks Guys. :) B)

It's a very hard process in some parts of the country getting safety glasses. JAX is the worst place to try, as they have to SIGN OUT glasses there, don't ask why. Some places it's not as hard, but the quality of the glasses aren't that great. I personally have a set of night time (clear) UVEX glasses, which are top of the line, along with the Amtrak Silver Service Neckstrap. I'm trying to get a pair of the shades, but the only type I've found so far are the crappy ones. As for the keys, I would definitely try to compare keys with someone, the AC on your trip north (WPB-JAX) is a pretty nice guy, and will probably let you compare. As for headend pics at JAX, I would wait until after the fuel truck leaves, he's usually gone by 1600, and the train doesn't pull out til 1615.

Ok, thanks for the info. How would a Person like me get them though, it seems like it'd be more for crew members.

It is, it's one of those things where you have to be friends with someone for a while, and then see what they can do to get them for you.

battalion51 said:
It is, it's one of those things where you have to be friends with someone for a while, and then see what they can do to get them for you.
Ok, so basically that means no luck for me, as I'm not able to really get to know a crew member, but thanks for the info.

Yes Alan I did miss your question. To answer your question, no, I haven't met a dining car guy named Doc. There is a JAX-MIA Conductor who's nickname is Doc, but I don't think it's the same guy.

Any Last Thoughts, tonight will probably be my last posts for over a week, but I'll be doing something better (not that these forums aren't great, because they really are), which is riding the train for the first time in 11 Months!!!

Viewliner, a last minute request. If you can, get some Lounge Car photos. I seem to have built an interest in service cars (Diners, Cafes, etc.)! B) (accidently put this in the "Concept 2000 refurbishments are happening" topic)

Amfleet said:
Viewliner, a last minute request. If you can, get some Lounge Car photos. I seem to have built an interest in service cars (Diners, Cafes, etc.)! B) (accidently put this in the "Concept 2000 refurbishments are happening" topic)
Gladly, that was my intention anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back