National Rail Pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi folks,

I am getting excited about my next visit to USA, (and to Amtrak!). I have a suggested route & wonder whether anyone has suggestions or improvements to offer on this proposed journey, before I make my reservations:

Arrive New York 7 Jan...Depart 8 Jan on Lakeshore Limited to Chicago then dep. 9 Jan Chicago to Emeryville on the Zephyr (one overnight stay hotel EMY) 12 Jan EMY to San Diego (mix of local train/throughway bus), 2 nights stay San Diego (Hotel), Depart San Diego 14 Jan via LAX to Chicago on Sw.Chief.

1 night hotel Chicago, Depart on 17 Jan on Empire Builder to Portland, catch Coast Starlight down to EMY (or Sacremento) and Zephyr back to Chicago, fly home from Chicago 23/ jan.

This seems to offer a fair chance of making connections, and a good amount of "Train time!". Anyone care to offer advice about the weather I might encounter in January?

Ed.

B)

Sounds great, ut I do have one suggestion instead of duplicating your return trip on the Zephyr... from Sac you could take the Coast Starlate down to Los Angeles, overnight in Los Angeles, and then the through Texas Eagle train from LAX to CHI via San Antonio. It would require a little planning since the Texas Eagle only runs east out of LAX 3x/week, but would allow you to cover all portions of the western longhaul routes including the scenic southern portion of the Starlate route.

i have heard that amtrak has very dirty restrooms and the service is very poor. has anyone else heard this?

becky said:
i have heard that amtrak has very dirty restrooms and the service is very poor. has anyone else heard this?
Aloha Becky

On every trip I have had great service. Some better with excellent, and outstanding service. The restrooms on a train are similar to an airplane except the staff attend to the room during the trip. Rarely you may follow someone that doesn't respect other passengers.

becky said:
Becky,

The best way to describe Amtrak service is "quirky." Some train crews are fired up, motivated, and bust their guts to give you quality service. Others view it as a demanding job requiring nothing more than minimal effort.

I've been riding Amtrak off and on since 1980 or so, and I never really have had a "bad" trip. OTOH, I have had a ride where owing to an idiot driver, I've been three hours late on the train. Amtrak still got me where I was going. In that sense, I can't complain.

My advice: expect nothing on your Amtrak trip. That way, it will be hard to disappoint you. And you may even run into one of those outstanding crews who put up with broken equipment, freight railroad interference, and abusive passengers, and still give you a smile when you say to them, "please" and "thank you."

have heard that amtrak has very dirty restrooms and the service is very poor

well as Onboard attendant who works coaches and sleepers and sometimes work as waiter .........I must say it not easy keeping restrooms clean if people would pick after themshelves. I am sure there could be better service if some folks did take upon to sit any where they want or dont want to sit next some one (especially when you have a full train).

Back