new 2 trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:unsure:

we are new to amtrak and have tickets to board the Sunset Limited in palm springs at the unmanned train station to connect in los angeles with the coast starlight, having a 4 hr layover. no problem so far. but now i see how late train #1 usually runs, (sometimes 6 hrs) and the ps train station is out in the middle of NOWHERE! i am concerned about making our coast starlight connection on time. i do plan on calling before we leave and check the status of the train, but i can't imagine asking someone to drive us out to the station and waiting around for hours and hours.

getting nervous here.

Amtrak has a rule with the unmanned Stations the caretaker has to open the doors a half hour before the train is due in and has to keep the station open a half hour after the trains has departed. :)

BNSF_1088 said:
Amtrak has a rule with the unmanned Stations the caretaker has to open the doors a half hour before the train is due in and has to keep the station open a half hour after the trains has departed. :)
Well, that is, if it has a station building at all. A lot of stations out here are just platforms or "Amshacks". :lol:

When in LAX on Friday, I happened to see the arrivals board, and the Sunset, scheduled to arrive at 6:40AM, had an ETA of 2 or 3PM. Do know that Amtrak guarantees the connection, so if you know the train is particularly late the day you are traveling (by checking train status on the phone or online), you can call Amtrak and see what it is that they plan to do about it. :)

Dear Nervous, 1-800-usa-rail will get you Amtrak's automated line. You interrupt the computer voice and say "train

status". By answering a series of questions about the train whose arrival time concerns you, you will be told the

approximate arrival time. Head for the station a bit ahead of the time. You can also push "0" as soon as you hear the

automated voice to be connected to an agent for a live person to ask. The Chief comes through my town at 12am,

supposedly. Our closed station is down by the river next to the woods where transients like to play. I know the feeling.

<_>< I guess this is why Amtrak is not that popular for transportation. I am sure it is popular in the larger cities, but if unfavorable unmanned stations and constant overly late trains are the norm, that seems unacceptable to most folks. i will probably be sorry that we decided to take the train for our vacation. :(

esorami,

I don't think you'll be sorry you decided to take the train... at least I hope not.

It sounds like you live in Palm Springs but may not be familiar with the train station. Palm Springs is an unstaffed station but is one of the safest and most well-designed stations I know of. Unfortunately there currently is not a station building; the City of Palm Springs had plans to build one when they constructed the current station five or so years ago and I am not aware of what happened to their plans since then. In any event, the station is brightly lit all night and there is a covered area, although not enclosed, in which to wait. Here are some pictures of the current train station in Palm Springs, California: http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/palmsprings.htm

Take the others advice and call Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL to check on the train's status before you leave home. The status will change frequently and should be fairly accurate when it predicts the train to be about an hour from the station. If, for some reason, the train is running more than 3 1/2 hours late (remember this train does originate in Orlando, FL and anything beyond Amtrak's control can happen in 2500 miles), Amtrak will still guarantee your connection from the Sunset Limited to the Coast Starlight train. Worst case scenario is Amtrak staff will take the transferring passengers off the train before Los Angeles (sometimes Ontario or San Bernardino) and will bus you from that point to the nearest possible point on the Coast Starlight route (such as Oxnard or Santa Barbara) so that you will be able to catch it there. Hopefully this will not be the case for you, though, and everything will go just fine and you will be able to make a regular connection as usual at Los Angeles Union Station.

The guaranteed connection from the Coast Starlight train back to the Sunset Limited train (south/east) is guaranteed by Amtrak in a similar manner. You do not have to worry about being stranded or missing your connection; Amtrak will take care of you once you are onboard and taking care of their passengers is what they do best.

I am quite familiar with both these trains and how they operate so let me know if I can help you with any other information. Enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back