New member from Kentucky

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
Hi all...after lurking for a long time, decided to join. I'm 32 and live in Berea, Kentucky, about a half hour south of Lexington, or two hours Southeast of Louisville. The closest Amtrak gets to here is the thrice weekly runs of the Cardinal, with stops about two hours away in either Cincinnati, or Maysville, Ky. I have yet to ride an Amtrak train, but funds, and time off from work, permitting, hope to do so sometime in the next year or two.

Hi all...after lurking for a long time, decided to join. I'm 32 and live in Berea, Kentucky, about a half hour south of Lexington, or two hours Southeast of Louisville. The closest Amtrak gets to here is the thrice weekly runs of the Cardinal, with stops about two hours away in either Cincinnati, or Maysville, Ky. I have yet to ride an Amtrak train, but funds, and time off from work, permitting, hope to do so sometime in the next year or two.
Aloha and Welcome

At least At least your closest Station is only 2 hours from you, It is about 6 hours from me :rolleyes: but several different routes are available, The next planed trip for My Granddaughter and I, is the Coast Starlight in July :)

Welcome - I live just north of Lexington near the horse park. I usually go to Indy or Chicago to catch a train.

Let us know what questions you have.

Hi, JP, and welcome from the third person in Kentucky!

We've tried Chicago and Indianapolis as jumping-off places, but for now have settled on (to go west) Alton, IL, and (to go east) Huntington, WV, for two of our next trips.

Another idea you might for consider for western trips, if you didn't want to drive all the way up to Galesburg to catch the Southwest Chief or California Zephyr, would be to go to Alton or one of the Southern Illinois Amtrak towns, such as Effingham or Centralia or Carbondale, and take a corridor train — one of the Illinois Service trains — into Chicago. (To get almost anywhere from Kentucky, Chicago is to Amtrak as Atlanta always has been to Delta.)

Sue, who often thinks longingly of Louisville's gigantic old Union Station, just sitting there ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, another member from Kentucky, perhaps Amtrak will have to start considering restoring the Kentucky Cardinal or even a new train! Ive seen pics of the old Union Station in Louisville, hope they dont tear it down for a parking lot like lots of other towns have! :angry: As Sue and Tom know I have Kentucky on my bucket list, I love horses and history but not during Derby time! :) Jim (in case you dont know GG-1 lives in Hawaii where theres no trains and is moving to Las vegas where there's also no trains!! :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back