New member in South Carolina

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCrails

Train Attendant
I'm an infrequent rail traveler in Columbia, SC. "Infrequent" partly because we have only two trains daily, both in the very wee hours of the morning (Siver Star). I don't think I'm the only one who would love to see Columbia get daytime service: even with our terrible schedule, our city saw over 37,000 passengers in fiscal year 2009

I see at least two options for getting a daytime train here: 1) re-route the Palmetto through Columbia on its daytime schedule between Rocky Mount, NC, and Savannah, GA; or 2) extend the Carolinian south from Charlotte. I guess anything is possible as long it doesn't require any money from our very broke and anti-government state...in other words, not likely any time soon.

I enjoyed my longest trip to date last fall when we caught the Silver Meteor in Florence, SC, and continued from WAS on the Vermonter for a few days in Burlington, VT. The return trip was on the Adirondack back through Hudson, NY and several days of sightseeing in DC before returning to Florence on the Palmetto.

I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks - sorry for not introducing myself sooner.

I'm an infrequent rail traveler in Columbia, SC. "Infrequent" partly because we have only two trains daily, both in the very wee hours of the morning (Siver Star). I don't think I'm the only one who would love to see Columbia get daytime service: even with our terrible schedule, our city saw over 37,000 passengers in fiscal year 2009
I see at least two options for getting a daytime train here: 1) re-route the Palmetto through Columbia on its daytime schedule between Rocky Mount, NC, and Savannah, GA; or 2) extend the Carolinian south from Charlotte. I guess anything is possible as long it doesn't require any money from our very broke and anti-government state...in other words, not likely any time soon.

I enjoyed my longest trip to date last fall when we caught the Silver Meteor in Florence, SC, and continued from WAS on the Vermonter for a few days in Burlington, VT. The return trip was on the Adirondack back through Hudson, NY and several days of sightseeing in DC before returning to Florence on the Palmetto.

I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks - sorry for not introducing myself sooner.
Welcome to the forums! I agree...the more trains the better. I wish our political friends in DC and in the various states were as enthusiastic about train travel. Oh well...at least the US is moving in the right direction (I hope!)

Welcome to the forum! My dad was from SC (Pickens County in the Piedmont)so spent lots of time there in my youth!

I only visited a couple of times in Columbia, we used to go to the beach in the summer ,had a couple of relatives there,

I do remember it was HOT! Guess it's cold now like it is everywhere! You are correct about the state having to fund trains, NC does a pretty good job but then it has a reputation of being a fairly progressive state unlike others in the South! ;)

Being from Texas Ican't say much about politicians, just thank goodness for Oklahoma, South Carolina,Louisiana,Illinois and Alaska! :lol: If it will do any good let your Congressperson and Senators (one of yours that Jim Dimwit guy is one of the stupidest going!) that it would be economically in SCs interest to have more trains since Amtrak depends on the Government dole so much it helps to have your reps on your side! :)

Plenty of good traveling on LD trains, if you can get to Atlanta you can ride the Crescent to the Big Easy and then on to California on the Sunset! The western trains are all fantastic (EB/CZ/SWC/CS), perhaps you can plan a dream trip and circle the US on trains like so many dream of and some lucky ones get to do! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! My dad was from SC ...
Thanks for the welcome, Jim. South Carolina and North Carolina are studies in contrasts, culturally, politically, and other ways. I've been intrigued and jealous watching NC move forward to develop internal rail routes and plan for the SE high-speed rail corridor. SC, by contrast, has done very little that I can find. However, things can and do change, even here. Still it's amusing and sad to think of a great high-speed line connecting DC to Atlanta, with a bumpy 50-MPH segment through SC because we didn't pony up for our part of the line.

Speaking of "around-the-continent" travel, I hope someday to ride the Empire Builder, hop off for a few days at Glacier, continue west and then down the Pacific Coast, and return home on the Sunset and Crescent.

Welcome to the forum! My dad was from SC ...
Thanks for the welcome, Jim. South Carolina and North Carolina are studies in contrasts, culturally, politically, and other ways. I've been intrigued and jealous watching NC move forward to develop internal rail routes and plan for the SE high-speed rail corridor. SC, by contrast, has done very little that I can find. However, things can and do change, even here. Still it's amusing and sad to think of a great high-speed line connecting DC to Atlanta, with a bumpy 50-MPH segment through SC because we didn't pony up for our part of the line.

Speaking of "around-the-continent" travel, I hope someday to ride the Empire Builder, hop off for a few days at Glacier, continue west and then down the Pacific Coast, and return home on the Sunset and Crescent.
Good plan! Sounds like there are a few progressive folks in SC, living in Austin were a blue dot surrounded by a sea of red! Change does come slow but maybe there is hope for SC, after all they snagged a BMW plant and lots of retirees and "outsiders" are moving there! Exposure to other cultures and people is the real key, 'How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree.."?Hope when yall run off Gov. Romeo youll elect someone with a mind and a heart, looks like were gonna reelect Gov. Goodhair, the T-Party favorite after the Ice Princess from Alaska(aka "The Quitter!")

If yall can run off Dimwit itll help too, except for Tom Coburn and the empty suit we have in the Senate (John Corny :lol: )he's considered the stupidest and meanest guy in the Senate, aka "Furniture with a mean streak!)

Back