New Member Introduction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SUTTONK11

Train Attendant
Hi,

I am a 60+ year old retired Virginian who became enamored with train travel at the age of 12 when my family took the Zephyr to the west coast on our way to Disneyland. We went to Disneyland, Yosemite, Knott's Berry Farm, etc. but the memory of that train ride has remained the strongest. Since that time, except on rare occasion, I have been relegated to air travel because of the time constraints of the business world as well as the fact that most of my travel was overseas. I have now retired and made a solemn pact with myself to never board another plane except in the case of dire emergency.

I found this site by virtue of a trip I have been planning since last November and it has been unbelievably helpful in so many ways, My wife and I leave by rail on May 28 from Richmond, VA, to Seattle ( Capitol Limited, Empire Builder ), do a 1 week Alaska cruise, continue by rail from Seattle to L.A. ( Coast Starlight ), drive to the Grand Canyon and then proceed home on the Southwest Chief from Williams Junction. I can not wait and only hope that the train is half as good as I remember it and, more importantly, that my wife enjoys it as much as I do ( I hate traveling alone ).

I am now fully immersed in rail travel with memberships in this and other sites, NARP, AMTRAK Rewards, etc. and you will be hearing more from me as I plan on writing a trip report upon my return.

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to submit all the helpful advice to this site - rest assured that it is of immeasurable benefit to anyone planning a trip.

Hi, I am a 60+ year old retired Virginian who became enamored with train travel at the age of 12 when my family took the Zephyr to the west coast on our way to Disneyland. We went to Disneyland, Yosemite, Knott's Berry Farm, etc. but the memory of that train ride has remained the strongest. Since that time, except on rare occasion, I have been relegated to air travel because of the time constraints of the business world as well as the fact that most of my travel was overseas. I have now retired and made a solemn pact with myself to never board another plane except in the case of dire emergency.

I found this site by virtue of a trip I have been planning since last November and it has been unbelievably helpful in so many ways, My wife and I leave by rail on May 28 from Richmond, VA, to Seattle ( Capitol Limited, Empire Builder ), do a 1 week Alaska cruise, continue by rail from Seattle to L.A. ( Coast Starlight ), drive to the Grand Canyon and then proceed home on the Southwest Chief from Williams Junction. I can not wait and only hope that the train is half as good as I remember it and, more importantly, that my wife enjoys it as much as I do ( I hate traveling alone ).

I am now fully immersed in rail travel with memberships in this and other sites, NARP, AMTRAK Rewards, etc. and you will be hearing more from me as I plan on writing a trip report upon my return.

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to submit all the helpful advice to this site - rest assured that it is of immeasurable benefit to anyone planning a trip.
Welcome - we look forward to your input and trip report.

Welcome! :)

And thanks on behalf of everyone who has contributed something. :) It's always good to hear that what we're doing is helpful.

Wow, sounds like you have a fantastic trip planned! Love the Alaska cruise in the middle of it.

If you like this trip well enough to repeat it, next time take your Alaska cruise from Vancouver, BC, that would make a nice change, and give you chance to ride the Cascades too.

I would love to ride the routes you have planned, the Coast Starlight and the California Zephyr. I keep racking up miles and thinking about it. I have ridden the Empire Builder several times in the past and if I ever relocate from where I am here on the Washington coast I will move to where I am directly served by the Empire Builder.

Welcome make sure you read the new policies they are getting pretty strict, just letting you know since you are new enjoy the forum

Back